1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New GCSE, new textbooks or........

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by lancsHOD, Jul 12, 2010.

1. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

Are you buying new textbooks for new GCSE specs. What resources are you using?

We do modular Edexcel and have got Unit 1 and 2 books and will continue to use them. We need to do a lot more problem solving that we are just starting to bring into KS3, I know we are behind!!!

2. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

The new books I have seen are rubbish. They appear to have a bit of FSkills or process skills tacked on, in some cases in a single extra chapter at the end of a section. The publishers must think it's Christmas!
    I am happy to be told I am wrong and that there are fabulous books out there (although I would have to press my nose to the window of the maths-textbook-sweet-shop and salivate - we have no money to buy any books with!).

3. Check out Functional Mathematics published by Cambridge University Press. It is part of their CambridgeEssentials books. It is a stand alone volume containing functional maths questions. I think it is really good but I would suggest you check out a copy yourself first. I don't like the rest of the Essential Series books but this book is not bad and does what it says on the cover!

4. I know it may sound a bit odd but before you buy new books have a quick glance over the dusty ones at the back of the old wooden cupboard that no-one has had the time to clear out. We happened to look through some clearing out the office as part of a room 'reallocation' and the content was quite good for functional and worded questions, whereas the recent textbooks have tended to move away from that question style. May be a good source of that type of question.

5. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

You clearly don't need new textbooks to teach the new GCSE. As usual, all the publishers are jumping on the bandwagon. Many of them had their edexcel books out before the syllabus was finally accredited, which tells you something.
    I particularly noticed that there is a significant mismatch in content for the various ones purporting to cover edexcel modular Higher tier unit 1. I've bought in a copy of the edexcel endorsed one, since that was written by their examiners - it is useful just to check our SoW is covering the right bits. Otherwise it is frankly a poor effort, as are all of the others - I wouldn't waste my money on any of them.
    I'll stick with my old favourite which is Elmwood Press - cheap, well written, non-gimmicky and, like me, a bit old fashioned. And, I'll continue to encourage the dept to make up and share their own resources, particularly for the new style of questions.

6. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

Thanks for the replies I am disappointed in the texts published and particularly don't think the unit 1 books have addressed the syllabus changes. I will look at the cambridge publication mentioned and I am wondering if I should get some of the Rising star functional skills booklets to give some resources for problem solving.

Anyone any other good sources of problem solving/functional skills style resources?

7. I've just come up with a fantastic new invention for my wagon.
    It's a round thing that fastens to the axel with four bolts and it means I can push the wagon along the road easily.

I think I'll cal it a wheel!

We have just bought every pupil starting the new course the OCR GCSE practice books from Oxford.
    Cheap and cheerful and pupils can have them at home for homework. They also come with a CD ROM of all the pages as acrobat files so they can be projected.

We alos purchased OXBOX but have not managed to get it installed yey so cannot really comment.

8. Text books are a huge money spinner for publishers and exam boards! E.g. the oxford framework maths course years for 7-9 uses three different text books. Why not have one with additional pages for higher ability sets?

9. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

Only when people buy them...
    ...it may just be our county/school, but I'm having difficulty finding money to buy exercise books at the moment...

10. Of course but you've missed the point! The Oxford Framework set fro years7-9 consists of some 9 different texts e.g. with special names, "Access", "Core" and "supplementary" Why the need when we could have,
    "...one with additional pages for higher ability sets?..." i.e. only one for each year group?
    Hence a much gretaer cost fro schools?????

11. If you are not buying new resources how are you tackling the new aspects of the specification? How are you supporting students through it? Are you having to make your own resources, or is there another way?

12. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

That's really what I want to know, what resources are people using to adapt to new specs? Or where are they getting Funtional maths and multi step problems from?

13. All we have done is bought some electronic resources from Nelson Thornes and using old books

14. Thanks etotheip. What do you think of them? Anyone else got any opinions?

15. They are very similar to the previous electronic resources from Nelson Thornes but all internet based. We liked the fact they were all in one place and that we can add our own resources to it. The pack included starters, misconceptions, quizes, tests (for each topic) and other such stuff.

16. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

Do you use Nelson thorne textbooks? Does it matter?

17. We do use them but not primarily. It does not matter which one you use and was very good value.

18. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

Just read the 'new OCR GCSE' thread and wondered if anyone has anything to add to this thread?

19. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

How are people resourcing new GCSE to adapt to the changes? Anything to add?

20. I can only agree with what others have said about textbooks, for years they have been tremendously weak and the latest crop does nothing to reverse that trend. Those publishing books in a modular format have certainly taken the opportunity to increase the overall price.

In terms of meeting the demand of the new GCSE, I'm not convinced it is really that different from the old but would be very interested to hear what others think about that. OK, there is the odd 'booking a holiday' question thrown in and some questions on the data handling paper required a bit of fractions work before you could complete a tally chart but it didn't seem that earth shattering.

Please lancsHOD, none of the above is a criticism, I'm just wondering if people are sticking with their existing resources because they feel that the changes don't warrant substantial investment.