1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New GCSE Media Exam Spec

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by Pippa7, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Pippa7

Pippa7 New commenter

Hello all,

just trying to decide which exam board to choose for next year- either AQA or OCR. They both seem really similar with 2 exams worth 70% and one practical coursework at 30%.

Didn't know if anyone was in the same boat or had already made their decision? We would be interested to hear how you came to the decision...
    thanks
    Pippa and Karen

2. snail_friendly

snail_friendly Occasional commenter

We've gone for AQA - historically we've always completed AQA.

Sorry, probably not much help.

3. emilylime

emilylime New commenter

I am going to the launch meeting of WJEC next week but am thinking AQA as the idea of teaching a course where you are not focused on the exam throughout the two years and can teach the skills of analysis and creating in media - which are then applied to some pre-released texts at the end of the course is really appealing to me.

snail_friendly likes this.
  4. Sealhawk

Sealhawk New commenter

The OCR spec looks a little dry to me in places - the specific texts identified don't seem as though they would all really engage my students. That's something which will vary school to school though I guess. I actually quite like the look of the WJEC spec, but the specific study on Wales as part of it does put me off a bit. Nothing against Wales, I actually happen to like the country a lot but I can't see it being that interesting for students in the South East! Would be ideal if that was more flexible.

5. CandysDog

CandysDog Occasional commenter

That's because the WJEC specification will only be accredited for use in Wales.

WJEC has a separate specification, under the Eduqas brand, for England.

6. Sealhawk

Sealhawk New commenter

I was not aware that was the case, thanks!