1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New GCSE in MFL.

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by geoff811, May 10, 2011.

1. I know it has been discussed before on this website but now that we are at the end of the first two years of it I just wonder if anyone else has totally had enough of the new GCSE and associated controlled assessment nonsense?

2. ambi

ambi New commenter

Me!

3. Totally fed up. It has doubled or trebled our workload in the name of 'freedom of choice'. It is well beyond the ability of a large number of children, is confusing and the support is all over the place.

4. and the writing exam. I miss my writing exam. Why was i punished and why did i have my lovely higher and foundation writing taken off me because other schools were cheating in coursework? And why are Russian and Japanese still allowed to do a writing exam and a speaking exam. Not fair not fair not fair.

Sorry about the tantrum, but reason and adult conversation

5. funambule

funambule New commenter

Someone, somewhere should be listening to this- preferably Michael Gove!
    Keep the comments coming; it is time that teachers who are actually at the chalk (whiteboard) face had a say in what is taught and tested.
    My experience is that `the MFL great and good' have far too much influence on policy and examinations and in many cases it is a long time since they actually taught and faced our difficulties on a day to day basis.

6. mlapworth

mlapworth Occasional commenter

7. funambule

funambule New commenter

Word has it that his minions read this forum!

8. I agree with all the comments here. I have spent hours on the administration of this exam. There was not a thing wrong with the old exam really apart from the odd question like some of the unpredicted questions in the role plays which had nothing to do with anything. And the old writing was a good test, You could also opt for coursework if you wanted.
    How this cohort will deal with AS is a concern. Most of all I resent the time it all took. I am a teacher and not an administrator. The materials from the board were very sparse and some of the materials were quite frankly so poor that a good PGCE student could have done better. I expect more from EDEXCEL

9. I am currently heaving a huge sigh of relief as I have just completed coordinating paperwork and admin and recordings for 6 GCSE languages and 3 A level languages and that was AFTER the class teachers had done a jolly good job putting it altogether in the first place. It was the checking and the silly little missing details that took ages to sort out.
    I really don't feel the oral prepares them for surviving in a foregin country - as I said before they need roleplays for that. And the inflexibility of the time frames for the controlled assessment has driven me mad. I feel like I have assessed oral and writing whereas before at least we just put the oral recording in an envelope.
    I'd be happy to sign any petition/letter going. Frankly it's been ridiculous.

10. I could not agree more
    Too much administration, too much teaching exam tactics, too much nagging and significantly less teaching and learning.
    Now waiting for the exam board to tell us where we have gone wrong and recommend some of their £195 (excl VAT) courses led by one of their highly exam officers (who will claim he does not actually work for the exam board per se/blame QCA when we start asking tricky questions.

Still, at least I have a job!

11. funambule

funambule New commenter

There are some channels for voicing concerns (far too mild a word I think!):
    ALL- The Association for Languages Learning
    The Languages Company Lid King,The National Director for Languages has just issued an overview of the National Strategy 2003 to 2011. Not many teachers seem to kow this site exists. Worth a look!