1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New GCSE - how is it?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Abs82, May 14, 2017.

1. gsglover

gsglover Occasional commenter

Good analogy. Let's hope the marker isn't handy with his/her red and yellow cards!

2. cake4tea

cake4tea New commenter

My daughter did the new A Levels in Physics and Chemistry this year and didn't finish any of the papers. She also felt that the actual papers were not really like the specimens. Nonetheless she came out with A*, which suggests the thresholds are much lower than previously - at least I hope so! There was a scandal a while back about the new GCSE Maths with one of the boards where you needed a pretty low mark for a C.

3. sanriku

sanriku New commenter

I have just moved schools. Having previously been teaching a year 10 Higher Spanish group, who found it very challenging but were just about coping, I now have a year 11 Foundation French group. We are using the Oxford AQA book, working on Unit 6 which for some reason mixes charity work with healthy living. The texts in the book are at the same level as my top set Year 11 - most of whom got A and A* - were reading last year. Is it just me or is the Foundation even more comparatively challenging than the new Higher? What techniques are you using to get students to learn new vocab? I've prepared a load of Quizlet and paper resources but it does require some work from the students too...

4. gregcolin

gregcolin New commenter

I too am using the AQA OUP French book. I like the fact that there is plenty of testing material which mirrors exam type questions. Am also using quizlet and vocab express fir vocabulary learning.
    I have a group of 19 able kids but am worried about what a grade 9 might look like. We had 21 in Maths this summer but only 5 in English

5. gregcolin

gregcolin New commenter

The reason for the mix in topics is that they are both part of theme 2

6. veverett

veverett Occasional commenter

Thanks. Here is a video with the gcse speaking exam football analogy

7. gregcolin

gregcolin New commenter

Brilliant

8. veverett

veverett Occasional commenter

Thanks!