1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New GCSE - how is it?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Abs82, May 14, 2017.

1. Abs82

Abs82 New commenter

Hi all,
    I'm not in the classroom any more and so I haven't got any experience of the new GCSE. How are you finding it....how are your students finding it? I'd be really interested to hear from those in the know. Do you think the students will end up with a better level of language?
    Thanks for satisfying my curiosity ;-)

2. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

It has a lot in common with the GCSE that existed before coursework and then controlled assessments came into being. Translation was something I did for my 'O levels' - way back in the Dark Ages - so elements of that qualification as well. I did think they would bring dictation back. Perhaps next time!

ningham likes this.
  3. parkert

parkert New commenter

I agree. I do find it extremely intense. So much content and grammar. I teach MFL. What they used to do in Y11/12 is now in Y9! It's very stressful

4. Abs82

Abs82 New commenter

Really Parkert? That's a bit mad (the Yr 9 thing). I did suspect it would be pretty intense.... Must be a steep learning curve.

5. cake4tea

cake4tea New commenter

Is anyone else finding that Y10 pupils are coming out with sub 50% marks on the GCSE specimen papers? Some of the answers required for listening and reading seem to be very specific, almost needing the ability to read the examiner's mind. Some fnding it difficult to access the questions in the W papers.

6. parkert

parkert New commenter

yes indeed! You're not alone. I'm doing so much help work in class - always having the script up when listening through the text book on the 2nd time through, annotating reading texts etc, lots of vocab learning. It's a nightmare

7. parkert

parkert New commenter

Everyone is saying it. It's all come down by 2 years - even in the primary school where my wife works

8. cake4tea

cake4tea New commenter

Thank goodness it's not just me. I'm tearing out the small amount of hair which is still stuck to my head!!

9. taradh

taradh New commenter

Also, how many topics have you all covered ? I am using the Oxford AQA book and am only on the fifth out of twelve (done: family and friends, technology, free time, customs and currently on house and home). Spending so long on grammar, translating, roleplays/describing photos and tackling the super hard listenings and readings in the book. I am also having to put transcripts up after second time of listening and having to go through reading texts in great detail because of the really tricky vocab.

parkert likes this.
  10. parkert

parkert New commenter

We use Pearson Edexcel. Y9 - just finishing Mod 2. Y10, who started in Y9, - just finishing Mod 5. We are starting the course in Y8 in Sept - Mod 1 only with lots and lots of background support etc. I am finding that each double-page spread has about 5 LOs!

11. parkert

parkert New commenter

Yep. Exactly the same here. Colleagues in other local schools are saying the same.

12. Random175

Random175 New commenter

Agreed it is intense, but I am not doing the reading and listening exercises in the book. I have been creating my own exercises to train them to read and listen. I have only just started using the readings in the book with my year 10s but then again many of them are relatively weak.

13. parkert

parkert New commenter

Same here. The texts are too challenging at this stage for our Y9s. We are doing lots and lots of repetition and practice of key grammar points

14. cake4tea

cake4tea New commenter

Just finished house and home, but major issue for me is lack of effort / ability to learn vocab accurately.

15. minka1

minka1 Occasional commenter

Can I ask which methods you use to teach vocabulary?

16. laloca

laloca New commenter

Yes; how reassuring to know it's not just our students. I have a mixed-ability Spanish class and 16 out of 28 only just managed to get above 50%. They are a hard-working, generally well-motivated group so I don't want to crush them. We have to do reports in the second week back in September, with predicted grades, but not having grade boundaries is making it impossible to judge what to put. In Maths and Science they seem to be going for 85% = grade 9, 75% = 8, etc but, as we know, in languages it's not that predictable. If anyone has any ideas, please post them.

parkert likes this.
  17. toadman

toadman Occasional commenter

We have been using the purple revise guide materials which are targeted at grades- our 10s like them as they can do the ones we have set- good for encouraging success and self-image as well as confidence.