1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New GCSE English Spec

Discussion in 'English' started by libbywakeling, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Hello,

I am preparing for a PGCE secondary English interview and am aware that there is a new GCSE English spec for 2010.

Is this available anywhere on the net to view?

Thanks,

2. Hello,

I am preparing for a PGCE secondary English interview and am aware that there is a new GCSE English spec for 2010.

Is this available anywhere on the net to view?

Thanks,

3. CaptGrimesRetd

CaptGrimesRetd New commenter

4. Thank you, yes as I sent that message I realised the error of it!
    I'm not sure then if I would have to know that much about the new specs - surely they can't expect me to know all the new specs!
    I've heard that they are becoming more modular though? Does anyone know if that is for all specs? Why is this? So that schools can choose which modules would best suit their students, and get best grades as poss?

Thanks again, any help would be greatly appreciated!

5. montyjacs

montyjacs New commenter

There are some significant differences between the new overall criteria for KS4 study which is reflected in ALL of the new GCSE specs and I think you would be best having an overview of these changes. I wouldn't have thought anyone would expect you to know the ins and outs of a specific exam board but, that said, a look at one of the exam board's new spec (as suggested by the previous poster) might be a way of gaining the overview too. Many English depts are yet to make their minds up about which exam board to go with too.
    The significant differences include the fact that all specs will study spoken english in a different way than before and students will either study GCSE English or GCSE English Language and GCSE English Literature. I've oversimplified it slightly for ease of explanation.
    I can send you a document used with my department which gives an overview of the biggest exam boards if that would help? Post your email address if you would like it.
    best wishes

6. Thank you for your post, yes I'd really like the document I'm sure it'd be really helpful.

my email is elizabeth.wakeling@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks again

7. Hiya could I be cheeky and ask for that document to? I've got a PGCE interview on Wednesday but I'm finding it a little hard to distinguish the actual differences between the old curriculum and the new curriculum. I understand the new curriculum but can't find a document that actually lists the changes, though I have looked at the national curriculum website and the national strategies.

I'd definitely appreciate information on the biggest exam boards just in case that pops up, my email is arielle.agabani@gmail.com

8. I teach AQA spec A and the changes are here:
    http://www.aqa.org.uk/aqa-english-resource-zone

9. Please could you send me this document as well.

It would be much appreciated

Regards Gillian

10. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Hi, libby. Just a little lingo point. As you use the up to date "specs" you might like to know that we haven't, strictly speaking, had any exam boards for most of this century. OCR and the rest are awarding bodies.
    (However, like "specification"/"syllabus", the development doesn't really mean any substantial change for the "consumers".)

11. Will there still be controlled assessments, because my HOD said it was all being assessed by external exams from 2014- is that right?

12. You will be able to do controlled assessments when convenient- no change here. You will have to submit it all- controlled assessments and exams at the end of the course. It is actually back to the old system.