1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New GCSE confusion

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by namasaya2009, Jul 8, 2011.

1. aaaaaaaaaaaah I am tearing my hair out with all the things you have to remember for the controlled assessments and some of the info confuse me!

when the students prepare their plan for writing or speaking it has to stay in school? but then they say research/planning can be done at home too.
    so do you keep the books in until the 6 hours are up and then they take their work home to learn? or do they prepare their script in school then learn it at home?
    I am losing the will to live with this [​IMG]

2. They can't prepare a draft in school and take it home and vice versa. They are allowed to make notes in school and take them home as long as they are not full answers. It is a farce, I know.

3. so during the prep hours they make their notes but if they take their book home they could write their draft then and come back to school with it? lets be honest here...
    i dont get how we are supposed to give them up to 6 hours to make notes, no draft and then they learn it.
    the spec says they can do research at home and school, cant bring the stuff at school from home and as you said vice versa but how can the students cope with no having their stuff in school then?
    I dont get it [​IMG] and it makes me sad that we have come to that for exams

4. Which board do you use? I think the rules are slightly different for each.

5. I make mine do it all in class, having an extra folder for CA prep which I keep. The only thing I allow them to take home is the Task Planning sheet once I have checked it.

6. I have done the following:
    - give each bullet point a symbol (e.g. square, triangle etc.) Pupils then read through their notes and put the appropriate symbol beside any sentence/phrase which could be used at that point.
    - pupils make a detailed vocab list for each bullet point
    - pupils highlight key phrases etc in their notes
    All of the above have been done in class time, but none of them is actually "writing a draft". The "draft" is done at home and stays at home (but they have their coded/highlighted notes to assist them).
    I have minimised the amount of class time spent on stage 2, but given plenty of homework time for stage 2.
    (But I do agree about rapldly losing the will to live with the farcical circus trick....)

7. so how long between them being given the task and them sitting the exam Petite Joueuse?
    I can see how your method would work. Have you had good results from doing it?
    but for that bit here
    "All of the above have been done in class time, but none of them is actually "writing a draft". The "draft" is done at home and stays at home (but they have their coded/highlighted notes to assist them)."
    in between the 2 hours prep you give them, let's say you have them on the monday and then the wednesday, would they bring back to school just their notes and leave whatever draft they would have started in between the 2 lessons at home?

8. Linguo24

Linguo24 New commenter

We do OCR and our kids have had to do everything in school, both preparation and final task-taking. If they are able to keep the tasks in their heads while they're outside class and do some preparation so much the better, but essentially it's all been done in a completely 'controlled' way. I just hope they don't end up having been disadvantaged in relation to kids doing boards where almost anything seems to be allowed! Bring back the written exam, I say (and the end-of-course oral)- a level playing field where everyone takes his or her chances without a litttle bit of extra help here, a little suggestion there!

9. Well I do think that they improve their technique with practice....but for the first CA (in Year 10, for example) they need quite a bit of input and training.
    So...........for Year 10, first CA, I would spend a whole lesson with them explaining the "how" of what we are doing. I would then probably give them another full lesson in class, in front of me. With my current class, this equated to handing out the task and giving input on a Wednesday, then they had Friday's lesson to work on codes and highlights etc. They then did the actual assessment on the Monday (it was speaking and I got off timetable to do it - if it had been writing, we would have done it on the Wednesday).
    I have come to the conclusion that there is little point in Stage 2 lessons in the classroom - how pointless! So, ideally, after getting the task they need time to produce a draft at home. It is always difficult to time these things, but I do feel that the best "results" are produced when you give them the task on the last lesson before a half-term and then the assessment on the first lesson back after the half-term break.
    We did begin this whole shambles by providing bright yellow file-paper in the classroom for anyone who wanted to produce a draft - and then we collected in the yellow paper only at the end of the lesson, keeping it secure until the next lesson. I have since abandoned this system. My pupils work in A4 notebooks - I tell them that they must NOT write a draft in their notebook and if they write a draft at home, it must stay there.
    This is next to impossible to police! Let's just hope the dreaded CAs disappear soon!

10. I see what you mean about the coding in notes but if for eg you have them on the monday and then on the wed, would they bring back to school just their notes and leave whatever draft they would have started at home in between those two lessons, at home?
    and how long between you giving them the task and starting the prep and them sitting the exam?
    How successful have you been ?
    would this work? using your method: 1st prep lesson they start taking notes/planning/looking up vocab they could use. HW do your draft at home for bullet point one. leave at home.
    lesson 2 same on taking notes.... HW do draft for bullet point two. leave at home
    process repeated until the prep time is up
    so all they have in their book is their stage 1 stuff + stage 2 their plannning/ notes... BUT at home is the draft they dont bring in school
    IF they do draft at school, it stays at school and basically the whole learning process takes place at school OR they do the draft at home and what they do in class is just the planning stage. in that case their notes are the only thing that go home so they can take notes on paper and books stay at school???
    sorry for all the questions, I just want to get it right

11. Well, as I understand it (!), the ONLY thing that can go between home and school and back again is everything that is NOT a draft.
    So....a draft written in the classroom has to stay in the classroom.
    A draft written at home, has to stay at home.
    As far as I can see, their code, highlights, Stage 1 materials, textbook etc can all go home and come back again.
    The timing of Stage 2 starts at the beginning of the lesson when you hand out the task. I hand it out on A4, 1 copy per pupil at the beginning of the lesson - we then "discuss" as a class, in English, different things we could do to approach each bullet point. So ,for example, I might say "When you get to bullet point 3, you could use pages 42 and 43 of the textbook" or "What tenses do you think might be useful in bullet point 4?" etc etc. We also agree on codes and colours for highlighting etc. They start work on their preparation phase that lesson.
    The AQA rules suggest up to 3 hours in class an 3 hours at home (please correct me if I have got that wrong), but we are already on a reduced timetable and I do feel this is way too long.
    I suppose it will partly depend on your pupils. Mine are all high-achieving and good at memorising whole chunks of text.

12. has it worked well with your students SmellyEl? what ability are they?

13. My classes so far have all been mixed ability. We timetable 5-6 hours of planning in class. We do this as I know that there are some pupils who will do very little, or nothing, at home. By making them do it in controlled conditions in class I know that all pupils have done the work.
    Perhaps that is me being controlling, but we become ever more answerable to our results.
    However, I do tell them that they are free to work onthe task at home, but I don't want to know about it.
    I do allow them to take the task planning sheets home once they are filled in - my Year 11 would split the notes page so they know which notes referred to which bullet point.
    Hope this helps

14. Thanks to both of you. Lots of useful info for me to think of.
    I agree that they need to change the system, it's not teaching them French as it should be is it?

15. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

What I've done with my lot is teach them the way I normally would - write short texts every now and then about the topic we're doing, e.g. if we're doing the topic of cinema, describe 3 characters of your favourite film, or research one actor from your film and write a biography, etc. Then at stage 2 I give them 2 hours of lessons with the task (which they're allowed to take home), the planning sheet (again, allowed to take home) and some file paper, on which they write "must stay in school" or something along those lines. Some pupils write 5 pages, some pupils just a few notes. Most pupils make use of my suggestion to use highlighters in their books to see which section of their stage 1 work they want to use. Some pupils start looking in our dictionaries to see what is in there to help them during stage 3. They do most of the stage 2 work at home (and you can really tell which students have done, and which ones haven't). The memorizing chunks by heart is a little stupid, although as each student has written this text by themselves at some point or other and have done grammar intensively (a lot more than in the old system) I don't feel too bad about it - it's just one more hoop to jump through. It will be interesting to see next year's Y12's recall of grammar compared to previous year groups, but my gut feeling is that it won't be massively different, as we have really done tenses inside out!

I've made my pupils write the rules about CA down in their books, so parents are aware (I coined the phrase "what goes on in Vegas stays in Vegas" to help them remember what they're allowed to take home/not take home!). I also write to parents fairly early on to give them the key deadlines for CA, and then again when they've done the first couple of assessments with their results, so that any ear-bashing/nagging can take place before the next ones. Again, you can really tell which students have parents who care!