1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NEW GCSE/A-LEVEL: Self-assessment documents and MFL Schemes of Work including formal routines

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by eudaimon, Mar 11, 2017.

1. eudaimon

eudaimon New commenter

Hello, Bonjour, Hola, 大家好,

As Head of department, I want to review our provision and raise the standards in line with the last reforms. Instead of reinventing the wheel, I am interested in what you are doing within your departments.

- I am looking for a process with a self assessment for the department and a list of procedures to complete to reach better standards. Do you know where I could find that? I searched for a book without success yet.

- I am interested in a set and routines for the MFL department (to compare to ours). Because of the new curriculum, we need to add mote translation, spontaneous speaking, grammar exercises... etc. I would love to see how other department incorporate these skills (translation exercises, spontaneous speaking, greater focus on listening and reading, specific grammar exercises) in a formal way within their schemes of work (this kind of information would traditionally appear on a Scheme of Work or Department Policy).

Please do share your ideas. Any information that you have, will be helpful.
    Thank you.

Eudaimon

2. lifereallyistooshort

lifereallyistooshort New commenter

Goodness! We have moved to a very loose "Scheme of Learning" which more or less maps the speed at which teachers should work through the course (based on a text book) and then have lots of useful links to resources for each key topic. Teachers use the resources as and when it fits with their teaching. We did invest in the Grammar and Translation workbooks linked to the Studio/Stimmt/Viva books and they are very good.

3. Random175

Random175 New commenter

I am not changing the activities that much except perhaps for year 11 when I am preparing them for exams. I will be using photos more as a stimulus for spontaneous speech and I certainly think we have to be much more rigorous in ensuring they are learning vocabulary, including target language rubric throughout the course. But I have always used translation, some form of group talk, specific grammar exercises, reading and listening exercises. At least now I won't have to spend ages flogging a controlled assessment into their brains!

4. parkert

parkert New commenter

We have just adopted the Michaela School policies on behaviour and their STAR procedures. This is working well and it is helping the kids to learn better an dget more doen.