1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New game anyone? Titles of literary texts.

Discussion in 'English' started by Tiggywinkle, Apr 7, 2005.

1. CaptGrimesRetd

CaptGrimesRetd Occasional commenter

"The Glamorous (Double) Life of Isabel Bookbinder" - Holly McQueen - comic novel
    (It is most reassuring to know that you are safely home).

2. 'Mrs Jack: A Biography of Isabella Stewart Gardner' — biography — Louise Hall Tharp
    [Thank you.]

3. CaptGrimesRetd

"Jack and the Beanstalk" - fairy tale
    (Mrs D's performance as Jack's mother in Worthing Rep. is still spoken of with relish by all who saw it).

4. 'Jack The Ripper : The Killer's Identity Established' — criminology — Daniel Farson
    [I knew Farson casually during the Sixties, when he was a pub landlord on the Isle of Dogs — a 'character' who turned out to be too raffish even for the Tiger, who 'discovered' him on one of his more regrettable pot-hunting expeditions. Certain other celebrities, of course, had made a habit of visiting the Waterman's Arms — but I will not say more.]

5. CaptGrimesRetd

"Ripping Yarns" - Michael Palin - TV plays
    (I think it may have closed - at any ratre in the way that was once so famous).

6. 'The Yarn Lover's Guide to Hand Dyeing' — instructional manual — Linda La Belle
    [Lately, I sometimes wish that Mrs G would slacken the pace a little on her handicrafts.Her inexhaustible energy tires me out, if you see what I mean.]

7. CaptGrimesRetd

"The Hand that Rocks the Cradle" - William Ross Wallace - verse.
    (Indeed one can have too much of a good thing).

8. 'Minerals, Rocks and Precious Stones' — field guide to identification — Jaroslav Bauer
    [Apologies for the delay. We have just returned from another short break, this time (and for the first time) to Luxembourg. Mrs G has for the time being deserted her needle for her gardener's trowel.]

9. CaptGrimesRetd

"Sex & Bowls & Rock & Roll: How I Swapped my Rock Dreams for Village Greens" - Alex Marsh - memoir.

(Welcome back. Little has changed).

10. 'Sexual Behavior in the Human Male' — twaddle — Alfred C. Kinsey
    [But the sun is shining!]

11. CaptGrimesRetd

"Being Human" - ed. Neil Astley- poetry anthology

12. 'The Last Human Cannonball (and other small journeys in search of great men)' — collected journalism — Byron Rogers

13. CaptGrimesRetd

"Tennis Begins at Forty: a Guide for All Players who Don't Have Wrists of Steel or a Cannonball Serve, Don't Always Rush the Net or Have a Devastating Overhead but Want to Win" - Pancho Gonzales - sports manual

14. 'I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue: The Best of Forty Years' — review — Barry Cryer et al.

15. CaptGrimesRetd

"The Complete Guide to Are You Being Served? - Forty Years of Laughter" - William Earl Patrick - television guide

(Mrs Danvers was up for the part of Mrs Slocombe but I don't think it would have suited her at all).

16. One Hundred Years of Solitude, Gabriel García Márquez - novel

17. 'A Brief History of the Hundred Years War: The English in France, 1337-1453 ? history ? Desmond Seward

[I agree. The part was rather too vulgar for Mrs D.

I don't think the new TES is up to much. It's a shame that Ughtred St John Mainwaring is lying neglected: it might have been more successful than Pooky and her helpers in improving matters.]

18. CaptGrimesRetd

"French Leave" - Wodehouse - comic gem.

(It seems to be rather more time-consuming and rather harder to post. Especially difficult when one can only use Matron's computer when she is out of her office).

19. CaptGrimesRetd

"The Road to Le Tholonet: A French Garden Journey" - Monty Don - horticultural travelogue

20. CaptGrimesRetd

"The Rolling English Road" - Chesterton - verse