1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Framework

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by otters258, Nov 6, 2019.

1. otters258

otters258 New commenter

Never before has a new Ofsted framework impacted on the workload of all teachers in the way this one does. Is it the refreshing approach to inspecting a school more broadly than just focusing on data, as it promised to be at its inception? Sadly no. Instead what is being peddled is a mantra of know and remember more, underpinned by some dubious pseudo science, that is panicking schools into producing sheaves of meaningless curriculum paperwork. And then too top it all they have the cheek to ask us to evaluate how we are addressing staff workload in our schools! Can we be brave and do things at our own pace which we know is the measure of good and effective school improvement. Those of us who have an Ofsted looming this year probably not.

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

You don't remember the 2004 Framework then...

:D

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

The EIF is brutal and not fit for purpose.
    Basically unless you have every lesson mapped out, you don't have a clear sequence of learning.
    If you have new staff in post, you can't be good in a S5.
    And if you do have standardised data you want the inspectorate to look at, because it clearly shows things are improving, they will refuse.
    So EVERYTHING is based on books and paperwork.... and woe betided they see a lesson that is not great. The pressure, impact on mental health and accountability is damaging our children.
    And no-one seems to listen as another Head is disappeared.....

4. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Cornflake, are you ok? Are you being disappeared?

Lara mfl 05 and digoryvenn like this.
  5. cornflake

I've sent you a message Sundaytrekker

digoryvenn and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

If that indicates a personal problem I wish you well cornflake. Sounds as if the new Framework is yet another 'stick to beat teachers' into early retirement / leaving the profession. :(

digoryvenn likes this.
  7. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I’ve replied.

8. D1p5t1ck

D1p5t1ck New commenter

If that indicates a personal problem I wish you well cornflake. Sounds as if the new Framework is yet another 'stick to beat teachers' into early retirement / leaving the profession

That's how its feeling from where Im sitting-I swore at my last inspection in 2017 at 5am in my office waiting with a tear rolling down my eye I wouldn't do another one and I ..wont!! Already got figures and will make it work if it kills me

9. cornflake

D1p5t1ck - I think it’s a stick to force academisation, and to ensure that Heads who prioritise the holistic development of children (and staff) are pushed out. If children are not doing phonics from Day 1 of arriving in school, you are RI at best. Never mind that this may not be appropriate in all cases. OFSTED has become the dictator of pedagogy and informed, contextual, professional judgement (based on experience and evaluation) is no longer permitted.
    So I sound bitter? Probably. I should have been considering moving to a second Headship, with a view to contributing to education for another 8-10 years before retiring. Now I am wondering what value I have to society and on dark days, I just want to disappear. On brighter ones, I know I will survive - but I have to reinvent myself first.