1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New form

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by cadwallader55, Jun 21, 2012.

1. cadwallader55

cadwallader55 New commenter

Meeting my new form (my first ever) tomorrow and have a half hour to get to know them. They are a year 7. Has anyone anyone got any idea what I should do with them and any advice in general. Want to install some confidence and set a positive tone for the rest of the year.

2. cadwallader55

Meeting my new form (my first ever) tomorrow and have a half hour to get to know them. They are a year 7. Has anyone anyone got any idea what I should do with them and any advice in general. Want to install some confidence and set a positive tone for the rest of the year.

3. nikki_louise

nikki_louise New commenter

Hi,
    I hope your first meeting with them went really well! I've just found out I meet mine and their parents next week! Wondered if you had any advice with what you did today with the students?

4. cadwallader55

Just back and sitting in bed. Would have really helped if I hadn't developed flu symptoms last night. Meeting went well. Had 26 kids for 30 mins introduction. Told them a story about how people had lots of interesting skills and talents, likes and dislikes and encouraged them to speak about themselves. Clammed up at first but managed to keep it going until they all piped up with something. A few had been to the lower school and were a bit too confident. I told them this was not a regular day and that today would be informal whereas September I would outline my expectations of behaviour. This format seemed to work well. Story, give them time to think of a response, get them talking, keep it light, mention its a special day but that next time we meet it would be more in line with the school rules. Didn't meet the parents thankfully as I felt like a heroin addict in withdrawal. Off for an aspirin.