1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New form class

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Chanteuse, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Chanteuse

Chanteuse Occasional commenter

Hi all,

I haven't posted on here for ages - I had an extremely challenging (and rewarding) year, and never found the time. I'm starting a new school next week and I've been given a year 10 form - eek! I've never had a year 10 form. With the lower years, it's easier to think of tasks; I don't want to patronise them! Does anyone have any ideas of a good way to start the year, with expectations etc?

Thanks!

2. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

if you have an inset day 1st, you will probably have a list of things to cover from the school/head of year. When I've had upper school tutor groups, they usually arrive later than the other year groups so you only have an hour or so to fill. By the time you've issued timetables, diaries etc it is pretty much time to go. Incidentally, does the school start GCSE in Year 9, if so they'll be in the middle of their courses anyhow.

3. Chanteuse

Yeah we have INSET, and there are meetings for form tutors planned. They will have started their courses too as they did start them in year 9 so that's a relief. In terms of managing expectations, is it more appropriate to just set them out? As in, with year 7, I'd do activities like a class contract and so on, but I think year 10s would perhaps find that patronising...

4. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

I'm sure you will be given lots of admin to get through and probably not have time to do much else. As for expectations, when I started with a new year 10 form I made it very discussion-based, and wished in retrospect that I'd just laid out my expectations (as a brand new teacher to that school the year before, with a year 11 form, it had worked- It depends a bit on the group).
    You could also frame it as what will be different about year 10, what more will expected from them, responsibilities and privileges, etc. By all means treat them as more 'grown up' and make it matter of fact, like they'll obviously be expected to follow the rules in year 10. All they are doing now, in class and outside, will be feeding into their work experience ideas, college references, controlled assessments that count towards GCSEs, etc, so it's a really important year.

5. Chanteuse

@muso2 That's what I was thinking - more of a 'grown up', you're role models for the younger ones, focus. And a really good point about references etc - thanks!

6. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Yes and I suspect that whatever you say will be repeated ad infinitum by subject teachers over the course of the first week. Remember you are new to the school and they are not !

muso2 likes this.
  7. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I often gave every child a bit of paper on which they put things about themselves, some fairly easy things like favourite meals, bands and sports teams, but also favourite subjects, things they find difficult. If they're in year 10 find out what subjects they're doing and what they want to do post 16.

Chanteuse likes this.
  8. muso2

I like this idea - like a kind of social media profile. Gives you something to link into and find out their interests too.

Chanteuse likes this.
  9. Chanteuse

Yeah I was thinking about doing that - the school likes form teachers to do 1-1s with the students so would give me something to talk about from the off - thanks!

10. Sanz1981

Sanz1981 Occasional commenter

I'm an NQT and I've found out I'm a year 10 form tutor? In my first year!?

I don't know if it's good or bad?? Help?

11. muso2

@Sanz1981
    There are pros and cons to everything. Here are some positives for you...

- they already know their way round, know their teachers and how the school works - when you are an nqt with year 7, they and their parents ask you things all the time that you don't yet know yourself
    - older kids are in often much more entertaining and more mature to speak with (not always but often!)
    - they are more independent
    - there's a lot more 'carrot and stick' at your disposal when students are doing GCSEs and can understand that what they're doing is important
    - year 10 in lots of schools is the start of a new part of their school life with more responsibility and exam courses, which you can capitalise on
    - they may well have deliberately put you with a year leader or team of tutors that they feel will be really supportive and help you develop - it's not just about the students.
    Do ask for plenty of guidance at the beginning so you can get off to a good start.
    Best of luck to you.

12. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Agree with previous poster. Would just add that YOU. are the adult here and yes the pastoral team ( Head of House / Year ) to which you have been attached may be very strong and über supportive. There used to be a time when NQTs shadowed experienced staff for a while - guess this would be a bit of luxury now ....