1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New flag levels for KS3 (1-9)

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by kellyjcooper81, Jul 5, 2016.

1. kellyjcooper81

kellyjcooper81 New commenter

Hi everyone,

I'm am trying to write new flag levels for drama for my KS3 groups. This year I have still used NC levels, however the school has converted all subjects to the new 1-9 and I am worried about to get the best continuity for my KS3 pupils. At present I am still fighting for drama to be timetabled as a subject in its own right at KS3-currently, I am allowed to use one of their English lessons as a drama / speaking and listening lesson once a week. However in year 8 they choose their options and so year 9 is considered an early start to prepare them for their GCSE (which is currently Edexcel).

As I am new to teaching GCSE drama and been off for a year on mat leave, I feel worried and inexperienced about writing these 'new levels' especially as NC levels are my comfort zone and what I feel most confident using.

I would appreciate any advice or help with this and wondered if other schools are using the new flag levels in lower years or still using NC levels?

Thank you in advance for all your help.

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I think in your specific situation I'd make life easy on myself…. Use the English 1-9, extracting the references presumably made to S&L and Drama in there…

In 20 years of teaching drama, with levels I wrote myself, no one ever looked at them. Add to that the fact that that's pretty much what every drama teacher did specific to their concocted curriculum, and in reality 'NC Drama levels' never really had any universal meaning anyway.

3. kellyjcooper81

kellyjcooper81 New commenter

Thank you for your advice and replying; I appreciate your help.