1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New EYFS curriculum - adult to child ratios?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by hippycinq, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Hello,
    Just a quick question about the new curriculum, based upon a quote from the document "for classes where the majority of children will reach the age of 5 or older within the school year, there must be at least one member of staff for every 30 children".
    Am i reading this correctly that a Reception teacher could be on their own with their 30 children (some of whom 2 years ago would have stayed in Nursery until January)? And if this is correct, how do we implement an indoor and outdoor free-flow learning environment on our own, whilst ensuring that "children (are) usually ... within sight and hearing of staff and always within sight or hearing"?
    Im hoping someone might tell me ive misinterpreted this somehow!
    Thanks! x

2. Hello,
    Just a quick question about the new curriculum, based upon a quote from the document "for classes where the majority of children will reach the age of 5 or older within the school year, there must be at least one member of staff for every 30 children".
    Am i reading this correctly that a Reception teacher could be on their own with their 30 children (some of whom 2 years ago would have stayed in Nursery until January)? And if this is correct, how do we implement an indoor and outdoor free-flow learning environment on our own, whilst ensuring that "children (are) usually ... within sight and hearing of staff and always within sight or hearing"?
    Im hoping someone might tell me ive misinterpreted this somehow!
    Thanks! x

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

yes that has always been the ratio in reception
    with difficulty

4. Lol thank you, short and sweet and answered my question!
    Thank you!!

5. Msz

It's been my bugbear with the Foundation Stage 1999 and EYFS 2008 and remains my main issue

6. Obviously a way to save money by the government - cutratios in Reception classes

7. Msz

They haven't cut ratios for reception janet (it has always been 1 teacher to 30 children) but neither have they increased then as the consultation indicated would be sensible

8. So, lots of us do have times on our own without a teaching assistant and struggle to do indoor and outdoor play, as well as wet pants etc, but what does this really look like in your school? For me, unfortunately, the outdoor play suffers as I can't be inside, outside, in the toilets and teaching/extending play/questioning/observing all at once! How do you do it safely and well?

9. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

We have extra staff and are lucky to be able to afford it.

10. And can anyone confirm/deny the new ratios for Nursery? In the 'old'/present set up it is 'strongly recommended' that there is an additional teacher if there is more than 26 children (this is regardless of number of nursery nurses ot TAs) but this does not seem to be the case in the new framework. This is a concern as it took me years to get my Head to acknowledge and follow the recommendation, and I don't want my colleague whisked away!