1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Exercise Books

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by alt1979, Aug 29, 2012.

1. What do people put at the start of their pupils new books and the topics being studied? Just a general overview or breakdown of objectives they will be covering? Any help or ideas would be great.

2. I always get the pupils to do contents pages at the front and number pages after contents pages. It keeps them quiet for a little while. Then a cover page to show the topic area we will be looking at. The cover page acts as a checklist too so pupils can see what they still have to do or what they have to catch up on if they've been absent. My pupils like having contents pages as they Can identify quickly a piece of work especially when they are revising something.

3. Nothing! On an an hour a week I haven't time to faff about we just get on with teaching. The objectives are on the board and we share them verbally but unless they are quick writers and want to copy them down when I am doing the register Iam not bothered about them being written as long as they know what we are supposed to be learning about.

That said we do have unit sheets with an overview for each lesson and a self evaluation section that they quickly stick in.

4. 576

576 Established commenter

I agree!

5. RCMJ

RCMJ New commenter

Wholly with the "don't faff" brigade - it's not as if many of us are trying to fill the time.
    That said, the inside front cover and the following page are taken up by a blank whole-question mark scheme (Edexcel-variant), that is based on the levels shown in the specimen papers. It just has the benefit of reminding the bairns what style/structure of answer is required by each question that they do for prep.
    But then I'm one of those cynics who believe that too much time spent displaying TOs and LOs and States of this and Protocols of that may in extremis perhaps start to get in the way of actually teaching them something or even (careful now) educating them. I'm not completely sure that Socrates ever spelled out his learning objectives, or had a plenary review session with an extension activity, and for all we know the Academy may not have got an Outstanding rating, but I think most of us probably rate him as one of the better-than-average teachers we have come across over the years [​IMG]

6. Love this response, I'm going to print this out and just read it whenever we have our termly discussion about needing to have LOs on display at all times... [​IMG]

In response to OP - at KS4, pupils write down a checklist of topics for each unit studied as a reminder for them if they are absent at any point. They also have a record of progress sheet in their books for recording end of unit exams and mock results. At KS3 we usually don't do anything at the front of their books, but this year we have to have level stickers (new school wide policy).