1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Eng Lit spec from 2013

Discussion in 'English' started by anteater, Feb 24, 2012.

1. anteater

anteater New commenter

Yes, we need to get the other 199 reading something older than that new-fangled modernist W Shakespeare stuff.

2. seaviews

seaviews New commenter

What the old-codger-education-policy-makers who are moaning about this forget is that time goes by and when they were at school pre-1900 texts like Dickens, Hardy, et al, were only about 60 years old. In the same way, there's a 60 year gap between the writing and the reading by today's children of texts like To Kill a Mockingbird, Of Mice and Men etc.
    Children can relate better to what happened in the last century than they can to what happened in the one before that ...

3. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

What they don't appear to know is that a pre 1900 novel is compulsory already in the Eng Lit spec - it's just that most schools prefer to do it for CAs rather than the exam. If they actually took the trouble to read an exam paper, they might notice that there is a wide choice of novel, including pre 1900 ones. Some boards also include Shakespeare on the exam paper.
    I despair.

4. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Post 1900 novels, well, at least one, are compulsory for AQA, but you can get away with not doing any pre 1900. The Lit CA requires a Shakespeare play and a heritage text BUT it doesn't have to be a novel. Most of our department use another Shakespeare play.

5. I think this is SO typical. Gove has no idea about what teachers teach. It's a knee jerk reaction again, he just looking at the exam papers, he clearly knows nothing about Controlled Assessments. Why can't we teach both pre -1990 and post 1900 texts. He has also forgotten that GCSEs are for all students and that we need a variety of texts to fit a pupils of all abilities. By that, I'm not saying less able pupils shouldn't read Dickens etc ....
    G

6. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

My school's policy it to enter everyone for English. My pre 1900 novel of choice was 'A Christmas Carol' - OK, I know it's a novella, but my set is severely limited. We spent ages on it. We looked at a film or two. The school is near Shrewsbury, so I chose the George C Scott version. We read it. We did loads of additional stuff: clozes, quote quests, quizzes, web quests.
    Then one of them said 'Why are we doing all this stuff about Scrooge?'

7. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

Not particularly bothered about novels - however, I can't stand the new AQA poetry anthology. Their definition of English Literary Heritage is "you have to be dead" (as was said to my HoD over the phone) - hence the inclusion of the late Vernon Scannell as fulfilling the same criterion as Browning and Shakespeare.

8. LOL. Isn't Michael Gove a devotee of Dryden, that really hip and happening writer? Michael Rosen wrote a very witty response to him in the Guardian:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2012/feb/06/michael-rosen-gove-curriculum-schools
    Goodness knows what we will be expected to teach - after all that To Kill a Mockingbird and Lord of the Flies stuff is so badly written, isn't it?! It amazes me that people can be so out-of-touch. There's obviously huge value in teaching the classics but we already do that. It seems that those in charge have a very old-fashioned and entrenched view of what Literature means! (And one that ends in about 1950).

9. mediadave

mediadave New commenter

I'm happy to teach more texts but only if there's sufficient time allocated.
    English Language takes precedence as it counts towards the league tables. With linear GCSEs we won't be able to enter in year 10 which means that the language will potentially take longer since you need to allow revision time.
    At the moment my year 11 class have just finished reading About a Boy (fairly long novel); we've now got to read An Inspector Calls, revise Of Mice and Men and do preparation for unseen poetry before May, all for the WJEC spec. I've had to rush About a Boy and I don't expect I'll be able to spend long on the poetry.
    There's no way I would have been able to get through everything if the novel had been Dickens or Austen. Furthermore my class are C/D borderline and would struggle with a Romantic or Victorian text.
    Perhaps the exam boards will consider alternatives - 18th or 19th century short stories, for example. I love teaching literature but with the time needed to cover Language, allowing for revision, retaking CAs to push up to a C, etc, fitting in more for lit is going to be really difficult.

10. Completely sympathise. With 9 weeks before year 11 study leave (and a month before the CA deadlines), there's still so much to do. Thankfully, this is the last time I'll be doing this atrocious specification.

11. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

Re: "With linear GCSEs we won't be able to enter in year 10"
    You will, so long as they take the exam AND submit their coursework at the end of year 10 (ie Units 1 (exam) 2 (S&L) and 3 (Written) all submitted at same time. This doesn't then stop them from re-sitting some elements of the course after they have been through this process...
    Students can still do controlled assessment tasks at any time during their course, but they can only be submitted in the series of certification.
    &bull; Students <u>can re-sit controlled assessment if they re-enter the full GCSE</u>. They must make sure that the re-sit tasks are for the correct task bank for that series.
    &bull; If a student who is entering for a re-sit doesn&rsquo;t need to complete new controlled assessment tasks then <u>their moderated controlled assessment unit results can be carried forward</u>, providing that these have been aggregated as part of a previous award. It doesn&rsquo;t matter that their tasks are from a previous task bank because the tasks have already been moderated; it is only the unit results that are carried forward, not the folder of work.
    From : http://store.aqa.org.uk/resourceZone/pdf/english/AQA-4700-4705-4710-W-TRB-INTRO-LINEAR-ASSESSMENTS.PDF
    So, if they sit the exam in summer yr 10 they have to also submit all controlled assessments.
    If they then wish to re-sit the <u>exam </u>without redoing any CAs, they can carry forward their previously submitted CA results
    If they wish to re-do either of the <u>controlled assessment</u> units, it looks like they DO have to also redo the exam?
    Have I read this right? Bloomin' 'eck this is soooo complicated!