1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New end of KS2 Assessments

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Elfassy1, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Elfassy1

Elfassy1 New commenter

Good morning,
    I was on a course yesterday regarding the new KS2 Assessments. I came back in a panic as it seems that the bar has been raised once again and that 'expected' is now equivalent to a level 5 and 'exceeding' a level 6/ My three year 6 teachers, who work so hard, are in a real state and asking themselves if they really want to stay in the profession.
    Has anyone heard any encouraging things about the new arrangements.
    Have a great half term

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

3. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

No there is nothing good about them.

I have decided that there is no point panicking and getting stressed and I have told my staff this. We will get what we get. Last year we achieved around 50% L5 in all subjects.

If we get around 50% at age related expectation this year then so be it. We are a good school and the quality of teaching has not changed. It's the goalposts that have been moved. If these results are repeated around the country then what are the DfE going to say?

I suspect that once all the results are in and the realisation begins to dawn that they have made an almighty c*ock up then there will be some sort of fudge re the required pass mark to achieve age related expectations.

4. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Latest email from Russell Hobby:
    Three and a half thousand of you were kind enough to respond to my email about the ongoing farce of writing teacher assessment. 99.5% confirmed the change of date had serious workload implications. The government has broken its promise.

Armed with this evidence I took your case directly to the schools minister Nick Gibb on Tuesday. The government were unable to defend the decision.

Between that email and this one, however, the writing exemplification materials were released - months too late. From these we learned:

• The expected standard is actually closer to a 5c than a 4b.
    • The materials themselves are unusable in the short time we have remaining to us. I am not even sure they can be properly read in the time remaining to us.
    Not only have you had to deliver a more demanding new curriculum in just two years. Not only have you lost ten percent of this year's teaching time before the assessment. You have just learned that you need to attain several terms more progress in the few months remaining to you.

I suggested to the minister that either they reset the date of submission and recalibrate the standard or they suspend entirely the use of floor standards and league table data this year - they should just admit that they have no idea what the data will look like or mean. To hold people accountable to it would be a travesty.

I have given the government one week from today to provide a response to this. If we do not receive an adequate one - and by that I mean a dramatic change in their plans - then we will act this year to protect pupils and schools.

It doesn't stop with writing. This is one immediate response to the specific teacher assessment issue. There are far wider problems. We remain opposed to many changes in assessment, from reintroducing tests at KS1 to times tables tests at KS2 to re-sits in year seven to inappropriate content in both key stages.

Possible boycott on the cards?