1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New employee struggling

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Nowayout, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Nowayout

Nowayout New commenter

well one week in and a new TA who started last Wednesday has told me he is finding it hard. Due to health reasons he has asked if he can either have shorter days or if a job share is available.

I really don’t want the job share option as I need continuity for the children in the role. However I could possibly accommodate shorter days.

However it is slightly annoying to be in this position just one week in!

pepper5 likes this.
  2. mms1

mms1 Occasional commenter

Hmmmm, I take it your new TA is on a probationary period? What are the needs of the school? If you employed for full time then making adjustments one week in may just leave you supporting the needs of your staff ahead of your school. Get in touch with HR and take advice. What you do for one you can be sure you'll be asked to do for others.

Good luck.

PS How's headship feeling now? We chatted a year ago when we were both brand new to the role.

Pomza likes this.
  3. Nowayout

Nowayout New commenter

Hmmm! Yes I remember. So much better now actually although there is always a new secenario of some kind around every corner!
    How about you?

4. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Yep, the advice from mms1 is spot on. Did he specify the health issues in his interview especially with the fact that it would have an effect on his role?
    Seek advice from HR and discuss with them the way to proceed and deal with the situation in a sensitive matter. You can’t just terminate their employment via the probationary period just because he made this request. I’m sure that things will work out.

5. AnotherDayTowardsRetirement

AnotherDayTowardsRetirement Occasional commenter

Whilst I sympathise with the OP having to adapt plans so early in the term, it worries me that the OP was referred to the probationary period and implied it was ok to use it as an excuse to dismiss the staff member making a request for support. I can only imagine the OP has a fully staffed school with potential replacements on a job waiting list and isn’t concerned with any potential ‘bad rep’ once the word gets around that the school discarded a staff member at the first sign of him requesying a reasonable adjustment for them. This employee could go on to be a ‘star amongst stars’ for the school (you’ll never know what contribution he’ll make if you discard him at the first sign of inconvenience !!

henrypm0 likes this.