1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New edexcel Science 2011 help!

Discussion in 'Science' started by bchem12, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,

I have been reading some of the thoughts on this forum about this new specification and just wanted some additional advice. I am an NQT and am getting a little worries. I teach 2 top sets and have been giving my sets repeated mocks and can't seem to get any of them to get over a C. I have been running revision classes and going over the work. I didn't seem to have this problem in my PGCE year when I was giving mocks (I was teaching OCR gateway and additional) and can't work out how to push up the grades.

I am really worried that this will have an affect on my future employment, do future employers ask and judge on your exam success rate from previous years?
    If anyone else is in the same boat and hasany words of adive they would be really appreciated as at the moment I feel like a real failure and have no idea how to explain things to parents etc.

2. Should have included that the majority of them have been getting D or U in their mocks.

3. We're finding with the new spec that we're getting lower grades than normal too - primarily due to the change in format of the questions. There are 3 long answer (6 mark) questions, and our pupils just haven't been trained in how to answer these properly. We are focussing on getting the younger pupils trained up before they hit ks4, and then teaching the pupils HOW to actually answer the long questions.

4. Talk to your hod, they will be able to advise better than us.