1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Eco Friendly transport ?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by neddyfonk, May 10, 2019.

1. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

I like wind power and zip lines so why not combine the two?
    It seems silly to have structures that catch the wind but serve no other purpose. A few modifications could provide a network of zip lines between wind turbines akin to ski lift technology using pulleys. Small electric motors winch people up to a launch platform. They hook on to the line and their body mass moves the line which is coupled to small generators at each end. Depending on the lie of the land and height of the tower, lines could be upto two miles long. Great views and an exciting way to get to work/school for a relatively small amount of energy ?
    Frivolous or inspired ?

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Changing plane of rotating blades?

3. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

That only occurs near the top of the tower. Launch platforms would need to be below the lowest level of the blades. For 140m towers with 55m blades that would mean a platform at 80m high.

4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I can see a problem...it reminds me of:

[​IMG]

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Handy for breakdown rescues and idiots

6. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Definitely inspired, no idea if it could work though.

7. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

It would be somewhat feasible of you wanted to travel through a wind farm, from one turbine to another. Over longer distances, say from one wind farm to another, you would have issues with the expansion and contraction of cables as the temperature varied. Apart from initial cost of the infrastructure of cables and supports, it would have to be constantly controlled to stop people dangling too low and hitting trees/buildings.

8. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Round here it would enable me to travel from a turbine in the middle of nowhere to another turbine in the middle of a different nowhere some distance away.

A more realistic idea would be a system of cables and pullies on hills, so that motorists, cyclists, pedestrians etc. could attach themselves at the bottom and wait for a pull up to the top courtesy of the gravitational energy of a similar person or vehicle coming down the hill. A sort of all purpose funicular.

9. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

On first reading, I missed the vital "similar", and had thoughts of a pedestrian/cyclist being dragged up a hill by a lorry going at 50mph on the other side.

10. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Barking mad! :rolleyes:

11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Does the average journey happen only between two towers? Does the system allow a selection of journeys for commuters without one journey getting too close to the blades? A multistage journey would require several lifts, moving between towers and the generation of electricity would put a brake on the travel.