1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New EAL student

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tomhardy4, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Testom16

Testom16 New commenter

Hi,

I have a new EAL student in my class.

They can speak a little bit of English but cannot read or write in English.

They are going to do phonics in KS1.

What else can I do to help? What is a good starting point? I am struggling for ideas currently.

2. yella1983

yella1983 New commenter

Hi,

As a primary teacher in a British school Spain, with a Year 1 class full of EAL students, the best advice I can offer is to do your best to get the parents/carers of the child involved, if that is at all an option? Do the parents speak English? Is there anyone at school, an EAL teacher perhaps who could help you communicate with the parents if they do not?

As well as having a class full of Spanish children, I have 3 Russian children in my group, who did not speak any English at all at the beginning of the term. Luckily the parents of those children speak Spanish or English (as do I), so I was able to sit down with the parents and give them an extensive one-to-one lesson in phonics, so that they were able to practice with their children at home. The parents were given a set of cards to practice and I taught them all the correct sounds. I also pointed them in the direction of the Jolly Phonics Youtube videos, so that they could check the pronunciations whenever they had doubts and also use this as a tool at home to practice with their children...children love Youtube!

I'm in constant contact with these parents, so they can always ask for more help if they need it. I think it's crucial to have the parents involved to get this reinforcement at home. They should be aware of how important this phonics are to the current curriculum.

Aside from this, the use of songs and games and actions is always a great tool. I'm guessing you use these anyway, but just in case.

Also, I would urge you not to worry to much, at this age, children are able to pick up a new language so quickly. The Russian children in my class are already speaking sentences in English. It's truly amazing. The first month will be the hardest part, but if you can get the parent's behind you, you'll be able to cope.

Hope that helps and good luck!

3. Testom16

Testom16 New commenter

Thank you so much for your reply - I really appreciate your help :)

4. NQT88

NQT88 New commenter

A few questions:

Age?
    Language?
    Are there any other children in the school who speak the same language?
    Parents? Do they speak English? Are the engaged with the school?
    Your cohort - are they nurturing? Could you give them a buddy?
    T.w.i.n.k.l also has some basic translation packs which are relatively useful and pictorial labels with writing underneath, around the class are just a good idea generally.

Age is the most key factor. Ks1 is far easier to support a child who is new to English, than in KS2.