1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New EAL Student

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jameskinneir, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Hi everybody,

I'm currently undertaking my NQT year in a year 5 class.

About two weeks before the end of last term and new child was introduced into my class and he speaks only very basic English. He very rarely understands anything or any of the activities we do. He can read very well although he doesnt understand what he is reading.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice as what to do with this child in order to bring him up to speed in order to get him involved and help him enjoy the activities we are doing

Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Hi everybody,

I'm currently undertaking my NQT year in a year 5 class.

About two weeks before the end of last term and new child was introduced into my class and he speaks only very basic English. He very rarely understands anything or any of the activities we do. He can read very well although he doesnt understand what he is reading.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice as what to do with this child in order to bring him up to speed in order to get him involved and help him enjoy the activities we are doing

Any help would be greatly appreciated

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Try putting your question into the search engine in the Primary forum & you should find we gave some advice on this question over the pre-Christmas Christmas period.

4. flickaz

flickaz New commenter