1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New EAL child today

Discussion in 'Primary' started by milliebear1, Sep 10, 2012.

1. So I was told Friday that I would be getting a new child today - no information about him as yet. The child turns out to have come over from India ten days ago and speaks and understands very little English. I find him very difficult to understand and he was clearly struggling to understand my instructions and questions.
    He does have some English - just limited. I am thinking of having simple written instructions for him to have on his table, but any other suggestions would be very welcome as I have never taught a child with this level of English before.

2. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

What does he do for the rest of the day? It's really hard, isn't it, when you are trying to teach children who are Level 4 or 5 and a pupil like this arrives. I guess they just have to muddle along with the others helping them as much as possible, but it's just More Stuff To Do for the teacher.

3. Absolutely - just when things look like they're running smoothly, throw a spanner in the works. Others will be missing out a bit as TA pretty much 1:1 at moment. At other times he can do computer, lego, draw while I'm working with others. I have also chosen 5 'buddies' to spend time with him each day to practise key vocab etc. Found out today we will have some outside support on Tues pm and Fri morn which is great. He and I are, as you say, just muddling along!

4. Hi,
    I have had a new child come into my year 6 class also on 10th September this year. She is Hungarian and speaks NO english! I have been using google translate and she has an ipad full time but I have been unimpressed with our LA's EAL support of 20 mins twice a week, going through the dullest worksheets with her.
    She seems bright, and has already learned some basics, but it is a real struggle. As you say, my LSA is now pretty much 1:1 with her, leaving me with the rest including a severe behavioural issue. Worse of all though, is I don't feel like I am providing my LSA with much quality guidance, due to my own lack of knowledge, so I feel I am doing both my Hungarian child a disservice, and to the detriment of my other groups!!
    If you have come across any good schemes of work, or ideas to progress the language skills, I would appreciate any tips.
    Thanks

5. Just be careful with google translate - I had all kinds of nonsense being 'translated' today - amusing but not very helpful.
    Our MEA has been in to assess pupil's language levels and provided a whole list of recommendations - you should have someone who can come in and do that. The twice weekly support is ok - althogh she is polish not Hungarian! Try bfinclusion website - few bits on there.
    Still finding it hard to think of suitable activities - just lots of simple word/picture matching, very simple sentence work, oral work with buddies.

6. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

I find it strange that in this country we don't have any kind of intensive ESOL courses that such children automatically attend, after school or in the holidays, at least for the first year or so. If they find it stigmatising it could be held at a separate centre or local college. Nice little job that, actually...

7. Hi! I also have a child in my Y6 class who arrived last term from Portugal. We have no outside support from an EAL adviser so I am really struggling too. I am going to give him groups of topic words in advance and try to find some time each day to help him find out what they mean. There are some games on the British Council website that are quite good, but if anyone has any resources that I could use with him, that would be brilliant. He does have some English and he is trying hard but of course grammar and spelling are an issue.
    Thanks!

8. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

I can't see if you have given the age anywhere but the basic ideas would be similar to this response I gave about a Y2 child recently:
    There have been similar queries about Polish and Hungarian
    children recently! My resources are not designed specifically for EAL but
    the vocabulary items would be useful - lots of basic stuff. See what
    vocabulary and other items I have <u>on TES</u> at my blog http://languageisheartosay.com
    (It
    is easier to find relevant items this way!) Something like the book
    FIRST THOUSAND WORDS is nice too even though it is designed for younger
    children as it shows both scenes and individual pictures with labels.
    Widgit's Communicate:In Print (or similar) gives you both symbol support
    and
    text-to-speech which would be very handy if you have it (or can get it
    for one
    laptop if necessary). It works on the IWB too. Any software games that
    have
    real-voice instructions in UK English would also be great. There is
    something about hearing
    the sentence said in exactly the same way each time that really helps it
    stick.
    As long as you are certain that non-English children speak at least one
    language
    at an age-appropriate level, then you can hope for swift progress with a
    bit of
    help. Try the EMAG forum too.

9. I had a child arrive just before Christmas who speaks no English. Can I ask how you managed last term? Did you follow a scheme in the end? I'm unsure what I should be teaching the child and in what order, e.g. colours first, then shape etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

10. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

This one came up a lot at the beginning of the school year. This thread had my own and other suggestions. Hope you find something helpful.
    http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/619453.aspx?PageIndex=1