1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New EAL child arriving tomorrow. Any tips?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Jen1983, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Hi. I have a new Latvian boy starting in my mixed 3/4 class tomorrow. We know very little about him, only he was at a Scottish school for 3 months before moving. I have never taught a child with EAL and am worried about how he's going to cope. He will be the only EAL child in our school.
    I want him to feel welcome and secure but concerned about the language barrier.

Any advice would be great.
    (Chrome= no paragraphs)

2. Hi. I have a new Latvian boy starting in my mixed 3/4 class tomorrow. We know very little about him, only he was at a Scottish school for 3 months before moving. I have never taught a child with EAL and am worried about how he's going to cope. He will be the only EAL child in our school.
    I want him to feel welcome and secure but concerned about the language barrier.

Any advice would be great.
    (Chrome= no paragraphs)

3. thepinkrachael

thepinkrachael New commenter

Can you choose one or two children as 'buddies' for him - to give him a tour of the school (pointing out important places like the toilets, office, cloakrooms etc. and to keep him company at playtimes, show him routines at lunch etc - what might be hard to explain can be modelled by his buddies. Similarly, if he sits with one of them, while he finds his feet if he needed to at least he would be able to see what they were doing if he was unsure of the task etc.?
    Maybe some PSHE time for name games etc. to introduce each other and say what they like doing/favourite things - this could always be done using pictures as well if needed.

4. Thanks was thinking of playground buddies but like the sound of a buddy to show him around the school.

Thanks

5. give him a little while to get settled in but you could have a visual timetable and bits to help him show you how he is feeling.
    I use google translate a lot - not a perfect translation but has really helped him in school.
    Lots of smiles!