1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Drama GCSE specs

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by olivianotes, Jul 5, 2016.

1. olivianotes

olivianotes New commenter

I am an experienced HOD who has taught Edexcel and WJEC Drama GCSE. We changed 4 years ago (ish) to WJEC after the great Edexcel exit; poorly marked papers etc.
    For next years new spec we had plumped for WJEC again and done the training. Happy to go ahead, until starting to writing SOW a couple of weeks ago. Since the training there has been a change to the rules around the permitted texts for Component 2. It was just style/context - however it is now period and after a tense phone call with WJEC there is no movement on this is it a last minute addition from Ofqual. Given the choices of text that WJEC have made for Component 3 this really limits modern choices for scripted performance in Component 2 and pretty much forces you to choose The Tempest or Caucasian Chalk circle for the written paper to allow your students the choice of performance pieces they tend to enjoy. Now wondering whether to abandon ship and broaden students choice by going to AQA
    Any advice/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2. jorb

jorb New commenter

I have had the same concerns and will go withAQA, easier to manage I think.