1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Draft Curriculum for September 2014 - well?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Yogs, Feb 7, 2013.

1. ERU

ERU New commenter

Thank you :)

2. zugthebug

zugthebug New commenter

Good news, just received reply from dfe. We dont need to worry " teachers are not expected to teach all of the content of the history in depth and are free to select which topics to be covered in overview" so i am selecting to cover a lot in overview and with the time i have freed up continue with victorian, ww2 and egypt!

3. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Yes, I think this is the way we are going to go. Carry on as normal and just do "Gove Week" every July, after SATs, when you do King ***.

4. Well, you could actually do the whole of the Gove History Curriculum in ten minutes. In a fit of madness I banged together a PowerPoint covering everything from Stonehenge to the Glorious Revolution, which would meet the requirements of the curriculum. BUT....
    BUT....
    BUT....once Gove has got his curriculum in place - and he has shown no indication at any point over the last 2 years of taking any notice of the consultation process - then I suspect he will want to introduce a whole raft of assessments in every curriculum subject in every year group. He'll call them 'light touch' or something inane like that. But because he's proposing the end of levelling, he'll need something to show that children are meeting 'basic standards' (i.e. that teachers are teaching it)
    Meaning that, despite what someone at the DoE says, we will have to go into depth when teaching the Heptarchy and the reign of Athelstan and so on because there might be questions on them in the 'light touch' assessment.

5. poolbabe

poolbabe New commenter

Thank you. For what it is worth I have made my feelings clear on the consultation pages. I guess we'll see...

6. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

The most frightening part of the revised NC is the part that is yet to be decided/published: what assessment will look like.
    I have a suspicion that every subject will come with a raft of tests, which will end teacher assessment (you cannot trust us anyway). The results of the tests will then feed into the process for performance related pay.
    1st September 2014 will mark a very sad day in the history of education.

7. Malenko

Malenko New commenter

Maybe it doesn't get fully implemented. Obviously the present government will still be in office but the new curriculum will only have one (trial?) year before the next election. If a Labour (or Lib-Lab coalition) comes in, and if you take the shadow education secretary at his word

If the NC became effectively non-stauatory so would any new testing regime implemented with it, one would think (or hope).

8. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Not a chance. The main reason politicians are happy to release control of curriculum is because they know that the levers of assessment are at least as effective at controlling what takes place in schools.

9. lardylegs

Ooh, these last few posts are very sombre indeed. Just the ticket for the return to the lions' den tomorrow morning...... Inset Day! What joys await us? You can bet New Curriculum will NOT be on the agenda!

10. lardylegs

Oh, and regarding the assessment thingy, I went to an LEA course where they were muttering, not about testing (because nobody in Govement knows how to do it) but more about GRADES, ie you just give them a grade, A, B, or C for achievement in each subject. Obviously, only teachers with mostly As would get the pay rise.....

11. I am currently searching the web for a provider who has training available for Senior leaders with a view to implementing the new curriculum in our school,
    Has anyone had any decent training? Who was the provider?

Seems to be course for English and Maths seperately but I want a course that talks about the curriculum as a whole!

Thanks

12. Currently, there is only one person in the world who can provide this kind of training: his name is Michael Gove. Even though he has no understanding whatsoever of education, he is the only person who knows what is going to be in the curriculum-to-be. You can contact him through the Department of Education. If he does come to your school and provide training, can you please lock him in a cupboard?

13. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

With regards to standardised tests being implemented to assess progress in foundation NC subjects, I'd say this is unlikely. The costs involved are considerable.

14. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

I'll do it for you. After all, what more expertise could you want than a qualified teacher with experience of planning and implementing a curriculum. Mind you... you might have some of your own?

15. As a primary teacher just beginning to jobseek again after taking time out with baby daughter this is very off-putting. I bookmarked the proposed new curriculum a few days ago but hadn't got around to reading much of it yet, and after reading the comments in this thread I read the History document this evening.
    This is an initial reaction and not intended to provoke or annoy anyone!
    I was a History co-ordinator in a previous "life" for several years and am utterly stunned. One of the best-loved and engaging subjects in primary school - why change it at all? I am mystified. I am not opposed to the balancing of facts with skills, but there is no sense swinging from more skills-focused to more fact-focused - how is that then balanced?
    I am most shocked about the concentration on UK history as if that's the only important aspect of history. What about the concept of early civilisation - is that no longer important in terms of where we came from, the human story, and the richness and diversity of world cultures? It's unbelievable that Ancient Egypt has gone. I have taught Ancient Egypt to Y3 and Y4 and have found it to be the most engaging topic I have ever taught, not only in History but in any subject.
    I am going to read the other subject documents and then come back to this thread.

16. Now that September 2014 is edging closer, how are people's preparations going? I am particularly interested in how people are addressing the impact of the new history curriculum on their existing topic-based literacy. As a school, we have worked hard over the years on literacy rich topics based around topics like Ancient Egypt (Year 3), the Victorians (Year 4), the Tudors (Year 5) and World War 2 (Year 6). Anecdotally, I have heard that other schools are literally planning on skimming the parts of the history curriculum they don't want to spend time on, allowing them to continue to spend time on the history topics they already have in place. I'm not saying I agree with this or not - however I seriously resent our teachers having to throw out good literacy planning purely to satisfy Gove's historical ideologies!! Especially if there are creative ways around it.

How are your schools approaching the change?

17. You and me both... reform of the curriculum just seems to mean more 'traditional' learning of facts combined with 'improving' standards by making younger and younger children learn concepts too early.

18. Hello,

I am a Primary School Teacher myself but currently working for a book company providing libraries and school etc. with topic boxes of books linked to the National Curriculum. We're currently looking at the new curriculum and advising publishers as to what teachers may be missing in their school collections to fulfill the new requirements.

For people already working on new units / topic overviews, please do share any 'black holes' you are finding in publishing; any books you wish existed but currently don't or are horribly out of date. Are the books currently available for your units even age appropriate?

On the other hand, have you been able to develop new topics you are especially exited about? Have you come across any exceptional titles or publishers which need to be shared with the teaching community? Which books should be more readily available in libraries to help fellow professionals with their subjects?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,