1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

new diet

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by pinkflipflop, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Cut out all processed foods, cut down on caffeine, stop drinking alcohol. Eat healthier meals, get your 5 a day and get out there exercising at least 3 times a week.
    If you want to lose weight and maintain it long term you have to alter your lifestyle.

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

*lose
    Try the cookery forum for cookery related questions!

3. Thanks to you both for your replies. I have looked on the cookery thread but couldn't find any recipes. I'm quite good at cutting out all the rubbish but sometimes need inspiration to make tasty meals that all the family will enjoy. I will continue to search on the cookery forum thanks.

4. Some faves in the flipflop house include, jewelled couscous and balsamic grilled chicken, homemade spag bol, chill, curries, kofte meatballs, gammon and homemade chips, penne arrabiata, burgers, lamb kebabs
    I could go on and on! [​IMG]

5. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

PFF is right, you need to make lifestyle changes if you want to lose weight long term, BUT this is easier said than done because life tends to get in the way: grabbing lunch on the run; too busy with work/kids/family to get to the gym; dining out with friends and family and forgetting about the diet OR just being generally exhausting a slipping back into the old ways of comfort eating.
    I think the best thing to do is to first of all look at what you eat and how much. You don't give any indication of how good/bad your diet is at present, so let's assume that (like me!) you know what's healthy and what's not but indulge a little bit too much in the odd chocolate biscuit, bag of crisps or bowl of pasta.
    I find that, when I've put on a few pounds, just being really strict with my portion sizes helps. I weigh my food properly to make sure I'm not cooking too much; otherwise I find that I just eat whatever I've cooked.
    If you don't already exercise, why not try getting to a Zumba class with a friend or colleague? It's all the rage, it seems, and it supposed to be great exercise.
    Recipe-wise, I like to make ratatouille to have with chicken or fish as a low-fat meal. I like to make curry with butternut squash and chick peas for a low-fat treat. I also love just an array of vegetables roasted in the oven served with a nice bread roll and hummous. Yummm.

6. Those all sound delicious. could you post your recipe for the kofte meatballs. I love them. Do you use low fat mince?

7. Thanks Eva, I already do zumba and try to walk twice a week. I am active in my job so excercise is not really the issue. It's more that I love food. I love cooking and making food that the whole family will enjoy. I lost two stone two years ago but slowly the weight has crept back on. My portion sizes are too big and I rarely sit down to a meal without helping myself to seconds. I know that I need to get myself motivated and have made a start. I have started to weigh out my portion sizes. I know I will find it easier now the warm weather is here and we can have lots of yummy salads. When I make a boly I always drain off the fat anyway but I need to get back to blotting it. My daughter is very fussy but loves lasagne so I tend to make that quite a lot. We all love comfort food in my house! I'd really like some recipes for delicious meals that we all like eating.

8. Sorry Eva did not read all of your post. The curry sounds yummy, do you havve the recipe, is it Jamie's?

9. Instead of draining fat and blotting it why don't you just use extra lean mince or quorn mince?

10. fantastischfish

This is always my issue. I can never serve myself a portion and leave a bit in the pan or on the plate - I have to have it all.
    When I know I've been over-indulging I make sure I measure everything carefully before cooking so that I have the precise amount of food that I need, rather than any leftovers.
    On of my favourite low-fat meals is Chicken Paprika, which requires the following:
    Chicken or Quorn pieces
    Tbsp plain flour, tbsp paprika
    Sliced onion
    Sliced peppers or preferred colour
    Mushrooms
    Garlic
    Tomato puree
    Half a pint of milk
    Handful each of frozen sweetcorn and peas
    Tbsp half-fat creme fraíche

Method:
    In a bowl mix together the chicken pieces, flour and paprikla with some salt and pepper. Brown the chicken in a deep frying pan for a few mins. Add the onions, then after a couple of minutes the peppers and mushrooms, cook for a few minutes. Add the crushed garlic and tomato puree, then pour over the milk and stir until the flour is absorbed. Cook over a low heat for about 20 minutes to thicken sauce. In the last 5 minutes, add the sweetcorn and peas. Stir through the creme fraiche before serving with vegetables and/or rice.

11. fantastischfish

Yes, it's the Jamie Oliver 30 minutes one. Although I'll admit that I do like to add some chopped tomatoes as well.

12. I buy my mince from the butchers as I like to know the provinence and don't like the blandness of quorn, it just seems a bit overly processed, blotting it works fine and I still get the good taste from cows that have been looked after and not just bred to get the most meat for the money at the supermarket. Also I like to support the local butcher as it's convenient and the produce is always good quality.

13. I will definately try it thanks, I like to use veg that's locally grown and in season so won't be making ratatouille yet. Plus neither of my children like corgettes or aubergine so I tend to make it for lunch at work and as an extra side

14. This sounds lovely too, I will definately try that thanks.

15. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/content/recipes/
    Lots of healthy recipes on here and you can specify the calorie range when you search.
    (There are also lots of lovely, not so healthy recipes but we won't talk about that!)

16. Thanks RG I'll have a look. Just made a lovely meal but ate far too much again. Then went to the cupboard and ate as cream egg, I can't seem to help myself. I need to do something to improve my motivation!

17. Quit eating with your family. You are kidding yourself if you think they'll enjoy diet food, and you will not have just a little portion of the lovely meal you've just cooked and served for you all. Your cupboards are full of fatty sugary loveliness you get in for the rest of the family and you can't resist them. You've got about as much chance of sticking to a regime of sensible eating as part of family meals as an alcoholic has of being a sensible social drinker.
    If you mean to do it, come up with a realistic weight loss, give yourself the chance to lose 1lb a week - it will probably be more - and Put Yourself On A Diet. Cook for them; don't join them in eating it. It isn't forever. Sitting there watching them scoff a curry while you resentfully poke a salad round your plate won't encourage compliance.
    Dump as much sugar and carbs as you can. I wouldn't recommend the Dukan or Atkins diets to anyone, having done them both briefly for a quick fix, but going back to carbs this week has made me realise just how heavy the sugar swings are and how hungry, paradoxically, you feel later after stuffing your face with carbs rather than protein.
    If you can bring yourself to eat only lean protein, fruit and veg at meals for three months, you could easily shift a stone. Leave out the pasta, rice, spuds, crisps, cheese and **** for three months. Three summer months when there's loads of fresh fruits and salad to choose from.
    Grrrrrr! [​IMG]

18. Why is that PFF? I had been toying with the idea too.

19. I don't see anything wrong with eating with your family, and even curry
    is ok if it's home-made, and maybe a veggie one and you just have a
    small bit of rice with it.

Doesn't seem to be happening though, does it. I can serve my family curry but the only curry that won't pile the weight on is basically a vegetable stew with some curry powder thrown in. The rest of my family don't want it, thanks, though they're perfectly happy to watch me eat it whilst they get the ghee-and-lamb version down with some chutney and naan bread.
    If you can't resist it, put it out of your way!

20. fantastischfish

Jamie's 30 minutes curry is quite good. Maybe try it on your family and see what they think. You can easily add some chicken instead of making it JUST veggies for a leaner version that using lamb. It is accompanied by a carrot and ginger salad and a lemon pickle that's just yummy! Serve with some naan bread for those who want it. Yummmmmm.