1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New DHT position - release time for visit to new school

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by R13, Jun 28, 2011.

1. R13

R13 New commenter

It seems a very reasonable request but I can't think of any other course of action besides trying to explain to your Head the reasons for this.
    If suitable cover can not be found could you ask if you could go in your PPA each week instead if you kept up with your PPA in your own time - I know that's not ideal but it isn't unusual

2. Do you have any training days left this term?
    If your new school is fairly close could you not visit during blocks of free periods/time/after school?
    Good luck in your new post. I'm a deputy (secondary) and I love it!

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

No - you have no right whatsoever to release time, whether supply cover is being paid or not. As a head I'd always allow a member of staff one day, though I'd be less inclined to grant two - even if supply cover money is provided, the children aren't getting you, their regular teacher and your head is still employing and paying you until the end of August.
    You can 'get to know routines' via the staff handbook and other documents - you don't need to be in the school for that. It's nice to be able to visit a new school, but 'essential' - not really.
    I'm sorry your head doesn't want to release you, but there's no recourse to anyone or anything, I'm afraid.

4. Keighleigh

Keighleigh New commenter

That's why people end up being dishonest, phoning in sick or having appointments and visiting their new places of work. If supply is being paid I don't see why a Head wouldn't let you visit. You've resigned anyway and there's only 3 weeks left so do as you please. If that's the Head's attitude, be glad you're off!! Good luck in the new school, DHT is the best role!! Enjoy!!