1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Developments-Transition from TA to Cover Supervisor

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by suertesamp, Jun 3, 2017.

1. suertesamp

suertesamp New commenter

Hi all,

For those of you who don't know me, when I posted a couple of months back I was a PRU TA doing cover work for various schools. I was fed up of my job, getting abuse of pupils all the time. Read about this here, if you wish: https://community.tes.com/threads/verbally-abusive-pupil-advice.755553/
    I quit my PRU job, because I had a really, really bad day. I was a replacement TA for a year 8 group of children who were not even enrolled in any PRU, they were in a program in which they went to various sites throughout the week. There was a maths lesson first period, and the students did not want to do any work at all, and just sat there verbally abusing myself, the class teacher and the other TA's. All three students began to riot, throwing chairs at us and calling us all names under the sun. The other TA claimed to have bruises from being attacked so often. My mind was made up, I phoned the agency at the end of the day telling her I quit. Unexpectedly, my boss was very understanding and then asked if I would like to just work in mainstreams. Did a few TA days and 1 to 1's for about three weeks. Then I get a call asking if I would like to give supply teaching a go.
    Taught maths at a secondary for one hour in a morning period, I was so nervous I felt like I was going to throw up. Had a great time, told the receptionist I would like to come back in the future. Ended up doing full days of work in other schools covering subjects I'm quite good with (Art, RE, I.T and Maths) and others I am not so competent with (English, Spanish, German and Chemistry). In three weeks, since starting I have only had three really bad lessons, most have been quite good. I am not as nervous before each lesson as I was. Only a couple of times have I felt my voice shake when addressing the class. I don't know if anybody else had a similar experience, but I thought I would be terrible at this, having to call for SMT every lesson (I'm quite a socially anxious person, not the most assertive of individuals either). However, I have managed to have lessons without any incidents even with the year groups I've been warned about before hand. Overall, I enjoy covering mainstream lessons than working as a TA.
    I hope this story cheers up anybody who has had a hard time in their job recently, and inspires anybody hoping to go into supply work.

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Well done to you.

If you can cover classes and enjoy yourself then you are doing something right.

3. lulu57

lulu57 Lead commenter

Well done indeed. Success breeds success, doesn't it?:)

pepper5 likes this.
  4. suertesamp

suertesamp New commenter

I enjoy myself, about 85% of the time. The children try to wind me up, but there isn't much they can do to do that. The way I see it is, if they are disrupting the learning environment, bullying or being abusive towards me or anybody else, they have no place in the classroom and are sent out. I think I am much more laid back than most of the teachers and the children seem to like that. When under pressure I keep calm and don't let it get to me.

pepper5 likes this.
  5. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Yes, remaining calm is the best thing to do and to send them out after reasonable warnings.

You have done very well.

suertesamp likes this.