1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Deputy Head

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by cathmc, Jun 14, 2012.

1. I have just been appointed as a deputy head and I wondered if anyone had any advice for useful and informative reading matter so that I can go into the job a bit more informed and a little less naive.
    Any recommendations would be appreciated.

2. Congratulations on your appointment .Is it a primary or secondary post? I'm a sole deputy in a secondary school but wouldn't know much about primary. I guess it depends what your responsibilities are for reading. I think knowing the new teaching standards inside out would be a good start. For me a lot of it you will learn doing and by making mistakes. I find dealing with awkward And negative staff the hardest part of the job- don't know why some people are so negative! Learn to switch off (I'm dreadful at this) and I'm afraid be prepared for long hours...
    PracticAlities - if you are a sole deputy - fire alarm procedures if head is out of school - don't get caught out with that one it's bound to happen if you dont know what you are supposed to do! If in secondary (more than primary) be really clear from your headteacher about exclusions. I got stuck in a tricky situation - I would have excluded but I knew the head wouldn't - so i didn't.