1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New department advice.

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by KyleNoott, May 27, 2020.

1. KyleNoott

KyleNoott New commenter

Hi,

Amidst Covid19 I have secured a new post for September. I will be HOD English and An Associate Assistant Head. After any advice and comments on things I shouldn't overlook. I have the following so far:

1. Vision from my pof- Get them to chip in. Don’t spend too long talking. Grow together

2. Agree their priorities in advance and then triangulate with what I see.

3. Get around in the first few weeks. See who is doing what and be visible.

4. Small talk in person for minor things. Avoid too much email to begin with.

5. Biscuits- Quick wins.

6. Be flexi on meetings and save time. Don’t overload for the sake of it.

7. Show them you do as you say you will. They will need to see you keep your word.

8. End meetings with best practice.

9. Exit room rota. Take your fair share.

10. Stuff for agenda of meetings- Ask the department in advance if anything urgent. Get the second to contribute.

11. Draw on their advice.

12. Note changes slowly over the year. Make minor tweaks as you go and see how they respond. You will have to explain the context of decisions as they don't know you. It isn't personal just reasonable.
    Any other thoughts/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Lesson observation. Ensure you are observed by all or at least most of your department.

tb9605 and ACOYEAR8 like this.
  3. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Set up a book club. Teachers who are passionate about their subject don't often get to talk about it to anyone over the age of 16 (in some cases)

4. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

Good list. Number 7 probably most important. Not just in terms of your team, but in terms of the students too. I get the sense from your post that this will be a new setting? In which case its not just your department you need to follow your lead.... and if the students are following your lead it'll be easier to get the teachers too as well. That feeds into Skeoch's point: show them you know your business.

Good luck.