1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New dentist - not impressed

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by lindenlea, Jun 7, 2011.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Is it enough for a dentist to have a quick look round your mouth, then scale and polish without having a poke around to see if there are any problems. I just changed my dentist (gone from private to NHS) and the new woman was so cursory I'm wondering if she's any good. Also I've now got a problem and don't know if I trust her - she seemed more interested in chatting to the dental nurse. I've had bad experiences in the past and feel really nervous.

2. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Go with your gut feeling and move to a dentist that a friend, trusted colleague or relative goes to and recommends.
    Me too and it's not worth the worry! I would expect a new dentist to be particularly attentive at the first check up and certainly more interested in me as the patient rather than the nurse.

3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Thanks. I feel such a wuss!

4. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Hi Linden - you are not a wuss! Good dentists are as rare as hen's teeth (lol!!) but they are few and far between and as we pay good money for NHS, we are entitled to a good service. Would we accept a bin-service where they only emptied part of the bin or were so disinterested in their job that they only did it 50% - of course not. And the dentist you saw would not want her children to be taught badly, so don't accept unacceptable service!
    I'm not brave enough to make a complaint but would vote with my feet and just move dentists - they don't need to know why (probably wouldn't surprise them anyway as I'm certain more patients than you Linden are unhappy!)
    [​IMG]

5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Without going into details it was to do with paying through the nose and still not being happy. i completely lost faith in them.

6. davi_theuk

davi_theuk New commenter

I didn't find my perfect dentist yet either.
    I just wonder: is it really okey to wait with the rrot treatment, or should I look for a new dentist?

7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I only changed because I was really upset. It's a tricky one - on the whole I'm an ostrich about my teeth and don't go looking for trouble. Maybe you should give it time to settle down, My last mege treatment took about 6 weeks to settle down.

8. I am sooooo lucky, I have a fab NHS dentist.
    Is often running late for appts, but I never ever complain, which she appreciates, and anyhow she is worth waiting for.
    Had to see her colleague last year when she went on MAT leave, very nice but not the same.