1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New "curvy" Barbie

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Flere-Imsaho, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Was the problem with the old Barbie not that she was so "curvy" that in real life she would have been unable to stand up?
    Essentially they've made a less curved doll and named it curvy because that's the preferred euphemism for fat. Bog Standard Barbie, Skinny Barbie and Addicted to Cosmetic Surgery Barbie might be better names.

cissy3 likes this.
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I thought 'fat' and 'curvy' were two different things? Are in my head.

Other than that ... it's a toy, I never thought I could turn into a car and I played with transformers.

3. Flere-Imsaho

Plus size clothing is advertised as being for "curves" rather than fat. Top three brands on a google search quoted below.

Evans clothing collection brings you everything you need to create a stylish head-to-toe wardrobe. Select from must-havedresses, tops, denim, knitwear, nightwear and more, to fit and flatter your curves. Available in sizes 14-32.

Plus Sizes at Simply Be - Work those curves!

Fashionable plus size women's clothing available in sizes 10 - 32 from Marisota. Visit us now and discover why we're plus size and curve experts today!

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I really want to care passionately about this. I want to offer a profound insight. I want to use it as a platform to expound some feminist views. But I can't think of anything.

Oh, that long neck is still bizarre.

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

That's in fashion... I just mean in general everyday parlance...

I know lots of curvy women who aren't fat. Just because someone isn't a stick insect doesn't mean they are fat.

6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

There's men's everyday parlance and then there's women's EP.

You tell a woman she's curvy as a compliment? Get ready to run.

7. Flere-Imsaho

It is everyday parlance. You might not pay much attention to the advertising of women's clothes but it's all around us.
    The old Barbie was about as curvy as could be - unnaturally small waist and contrasting hips and bust. The new one is less curvy and yet named "Curvy Barbie".

8. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  9. Flere-Imsaho

oops
    I thought I'd put a link into the OP

10. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

So ladies, if I was suddenly mad enough to comment on a lady's figure, what would be the preferred terminology for the various body shapes?
    I'd settle for an alternative to "curvy"
    ;)

11. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I think in the States, the laydees like dresses that 'hug' their curves.

I have little experience of Barbie. I have a daughter who hated dolls and preferred My Little Pony. I did notice that three young girls interviewed this morning described the new Barbies as 'fat' and 'not very pretty.'

So that's job done then.

12. Flere-Imsaho

Compliment the individual not her resemblance to a "body shape".
    "You're beautiful" will always be preferable to "You're curvy" or "You're pear-shaped" or (god forbid) "You're a stick insect".

13. Didactylos4

With respect Flere, that doesn't answer the question I asked (and worded very carefully) ;)

14. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

Big hips, skinny arms. Where will she get clothes that fit?

aspensquiver_2 and Didactylos4 like this.
  15. Didactylos4

I believe she will have them specially made

16. Flere-Imsaho

I know. I was trying to steer you away from dangerous ground.

17. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

I see, 18 skirt , 10 top.

18. Didactylos4

Sometimes it is fun to tap dance in a minefield :D

19. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Is there ever a right answer? Surely it's so dependent on context, situation, relationship, tone of voice, etc. that there couldn't ever be one answer that fits everyone.
    One of my best friends (who is not fat at all, but rather narrow hips with an average amount of wobble around the middle and bigger than average boobs) got into a massive huff at her wedding because a bridesmaid said her dress made her look voluptuous. She interpreted that as fat. When another chimed in saying that she looked really slim, she was told off for lying and not being honest. With hindsight, something neutral like 'flattering' as an adjective might have gone over better, but you just can't always predict what words are going to push someone's buttons.

20. Flere-Imsaho

Then by all means go for stick insect and curvy. Perhaps you could borrow a hard hat and safety boots from Lanokia.
    ;)