1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Cover Supervisor, Week One-Already Struggling

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by suertesamp, Nov 30, 2017.

1. suertesamp

suertesamp New commenter

I have gone from a mundane job in an office which was extremely long hours, minimum wage and extremely stressful, to a full time cover supervisor job in a mainstream secondary.. Read about why I was hoping to return to teaching here: https://community.tes.com/threads/considering-returning-to-teaching.765803/
    This month I had two interviews for cover roles. Second time lucky, I got the job, and I will be now covering for another cover supervisor who is currently on maternity. I started on Monday, and I am already under intense pressure and have been thrown into the deep end. I am not a fully qualified teacher, I just have a degree and did 7 months of supply in the last academic year, so I am quite new to the job. I sometimes struggle with classroom control, especially if it is really badly behaved class. I give out sanctions and consequences, and sometimes I need to send for a senior member of staff.
    This day has been absolutely diabolical. I covered four lessons and two of these really made me question whether or not I should be doing this job. I had a year 9 science class who were supposed to be doing an assessment. Despite repeated attempts to have complete silence, this was impossible as the class would not stop talking. Whole tables were placed on a C1 (there are tables of about 8 in these labs). The whole class even refused to sit in their seating plans. Repeated attempts were made to get them to do this and they would not do it. They were not noisy by any means, but surely they should be silent during an assessment?
    In a year 7 science class I had rather a mixed bag of students. Half of them were well behaved, the other half were not. Some of these were constantly running about and shouting. The only good bits of this lesson were when I was going around, explaining answers to the questions to the children. I know quite a bit of science, and I was explaining the questions from examples of day to day life (the topic was states of matter). I feel the only use I have in this role is when I go to individuals or small groups and explain theories and concepts. I struggle very much with speaking to a whole class as I am constantly spoken over. I have to say, over and over again that when I am speaking, the class should be silent. I'm fed up. I even had to get assistance from another teacher because the last lesson got so bad. My fear is that by asking for help I will be seen as incompetent and not fit for the role as a cover supervisor. There must be a way to get through to them better? I am completely at a loss of what to do to avoid getting dismissed.
    Has anybody got any similar experience? Is this normal for a new cover supervisor?