1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New cover supervisor job tomorrow

Discussion in 'Personal' started by SweetEleven, Jan 5, 2016.

1. SweetEleven

SweetEleven New commenter

Really thrilled to be starting. Can't wait to engage with the kids and help them learn:)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  2. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

3. SweetEleven

SweetEleven New commenter

Thanx

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Carry a large bag of sharpened pencils everywhere and treat them as expendable.

As a supply teacher one of my favourite fallbacks was a USB memory stick with a selection of cool video clips like Danny McAskill doing his bike stunts, and so on. Very handy for the final 5 minutes of afternoon lessons with awkward older classes, especially on a Friday. Be realistic.

Lara mfl 05 and pepper5 like this.
  5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Enjoy it. There's no greater thing than seeing that break-through.
    But just don't expect it to be like that every lesson or even every day. It's a bit like an iceberg- a lot is underground before it becomes obvious.

pepper5 likes this.
  6. SpringfieldPark16

SpringfieldPark16 New commenter

Wishing you all the luck in the world. :D

7. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

@SweetEleven Out of interest, why did you decide to become a CS?

Are you proposing to become a teacher in the future perhaps?

8. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Love these videos! :) Was it you who posted a link a while back?

9. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

All the best for tomorrow.

10. magic surf bus

No idea, but they were very handy for stopping the naughty lads from playing the end of lesson door game. They'd be too busy watching Mr McAskill and claiming 'I can do that'. Copying them to USB also got round any YouTube blocks on the school network.

This was a favourite - there've been plenty of others since:

11. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I agree that it helps to have basic supplies but don't spend your own money on them. You are hardly being paid big bucks so don't be propping up the system at your own expense.
    Get in early enough to ask the department where their supplies are kept and ask for some board markers, some pencils and some biros.
    Count them out and count them back in! It helps to make a note of which person/desk you issued them to. You can't always trust the names that they give you so noting where they are seated helps in the follow up!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. marlin

marlin Star commenter

@magic surf bus

Diverting from the OP's post - sorry - but I have watched this one endless times!

13. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Thanks magic surf bus... I am going to try these on supply.

14. marlin

marlin Star commenter

15. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I'm sure the OP will do well, considering that she's an Educational Psychologist! (Not that that is any indication) :D

16. magic surf bus

My advice is intended to be pragmatic. I was a full-time teacher for 27 years before I took on supply cover and it's a very very different world. Sometimes it's as much as you can do to get inside the classroom within 15 minutes of the lesson start due to keys being in the wrong places. I appreciate that CS is slightly different in that you're in-house and are more likely to be seen (eventually) by the children as a 'real' teacher. Nevertheless, accepting the day to day reality of getting writing implements into hands by the fastest means possible, and not getting dragged into distracting one-to-one confrontations over a missing pencil when half the class are by the door trying to make an early exit is a handy way of keeping things contained. It also establishes the right reputation with those above, who don't like to find kids wandering before the bells ring.

It'll all come with experience anyway - no point in me pontificating here any further.

17. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I spent my whole career on long and short-term supply placements.

One thing that I learned quickly was that the cry of "I don't have a pen, Miss!" is often simply a time-waster. Tell them that they'll have to see you at break to complete any written work and their pens often appear or a friend lends them one!

The supply teacher or CS should raid any accessible resources in the room for those who have genuinely forgotten things (or have had them destroyed earlier by classmates). The floor is often a good place to look for broken but usable pens and pencils!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  18. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Ditto- spending a lot of my career on supply.
    Work avoidance strategies abound when 'covering classes', so simply circumventing the excuses by providing resources, warnings about staying in etc all help them suddenly to 'find' resources (even their exercise books which can suddenly go missing!) or get them settled.
    I built up whole collections of 'pencils to loan out by looking on the floor at the ends of lessons.;)

19. johnnymitchell

johnnymitchell Established commenter

That's one heck of a career change.

How did it come about?

20. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter