1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New coordinator

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by SmileySmiley, Jun 10, 2011.

1. I've just been appointed as a numeracy coordinator earlier this week in a brand new school. I'm familiar with most of the responsibilities of this post as have worked with different coordinators but have never actually led a subject by myself before (I did tel the school this and they saod had all the skills necessary to do the job and are putting in a little support to begin with to ease me intot he role).
    My question is, What should i expect? will I be totally inundated with work? Will I get extra time out of class to complete extra responsibilities?
    I'm very aware that there will be more work and I'm determined to do the job well and pull numeracy standards up....I'm just a bit worried about what to expect as a lone coordinator?
    In Primary by the way.
  2. What did the contract say?
  3. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

?? contradictory remarks ??
  4. OK so the question didn't quite come out as I expected.
    Never mind. Ill speak to people already in the role and ask how their work load changed (yes I know it will change....I was thinking more about how and how much extra work I'd have).
  5. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

seems like a good plan - although maybe i might have wanted this information before I actually accepted the job.
    Its a bit late now - or are you trying to work out how many extra hours you will be expected to work? If so that rather depends on how fast and effeciently you work not just on the amount of "stuff" you are expected to do.
  6. It will also depend on how big the school is/ what standards of teaching are like (and staff subject knowledge)/ children's attainment currently and how high a priority maths is on school improvement plan. How long is a piece of string really!
    Also, as in teaching generally, you will probably find that you <u>could</u> fill all the hours in every week doing extra tasks. Determine the priorities for your school, then set about adressing them as best you can with the time you have available. (And accept that you won't be able to do everything that you might want to.)
  7. Thanx,
    I know I won't be able to do everything I want to and I already have a list of things i want to do. I know I'll be working a lot more as it is quite a large school and numeracy is quite high on the SIP.
    I'm really looking forward to starting my new role, but also a bit hesitant as it's something totally new.