1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New cookery books...

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by lapinrose, Apr 10, 2011.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Got 2 for £5 in Eastbourne Arndale centre last week, Mezze and Tapas. The ultimate for sheer enjoyment is Claudia Rodin though.

2. Claudia
    [​IMG]

3. Whatever you do do NOT look here
    better than the Hummingbird, in my opinion!

I may have to investigate the Skinny, I love her writing style, irritating as she is [​IMG]

4. I am LUSTING after harry's new book but as i only made 2 cakes from her last book The Red velvet one- can i justify it?
    Have you seen Julie and Julia- fab film, french cooking but full fat !

5. Bliss! I loved it!
    I am all for eating what you like - within measure. I don't believe in denying yourself treats.
    And having spent my younger years as an anorexic - I savour food. I love every single bite of it. And I have learnt to love the pounds on my belly and hips that come with it.
    I am mentally much more stable eating, than I was starving myself.
    So, I am now in my 40s and no longer mega skinny or even slyph-like. But I am a much more happier and contented person.
    And if I can live with my less than perfect figure - so can everyone else.
    Yup - my belly is podgy, my legs are now a bit lardy and my boobs sag.
    But I am me, happy and a better person for not caring what others think.
    I have a colleague (male) who will constantly ask if I have put on weight. My answer is "Yes, but you are smaller than me. I can lose weight - will you grow?".
    Baffoon. I will not allow his complex about his height make me feel bad about my figure.
    It took me ages to get here and I am not going to let go of it again.
    I am fine as I am - with my podgy bits. Especially because of my podgy bits. Because those pogby bits are a sign that I am still here and alive. Not starving myself to death and having a size 32 flap around me.
    I am PROUD of myself and my podgy bits.
    So there!

6. I just spent an hour in Waterstones reading it! You will most definitely make more out it than Red Velvet!
    It is £14 in Ws and about £11 on Amazon. I am probably not going to be able to hold out much longer! The recipes are good, easy, come with calories and how you saved them. Usual Harry commentary makes it a good read too!
    My fingers are itching....... oops! It will be here tomorrow.

Dam.nation!

7. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I finally gave in a bought Ching-He Huang's Chinese Food in Minutes (£4.99 in The Works - I very often get many a bargain of a cookbook in that shop!) and I just love her style of writing. I sometimes buy cookbooks more for the commentaries than I do for the recipes!

8. Alas, Pobble, too many pastry and bread recipes for my gluten free diet. Flour for cake recipes can be easily exchanged with GF flour, but not for bread or pastry... [​IMG]

9. Oh what a shame.
    Never mind, I'll make lots and think of you!
    Are you gluten free by necessity or choice?
    If choice I could always try seducing you with tales of the deliciousness [​IMG]

10. I love her book, but even better than hers, I've just got Ken Hom's Complete Chinese cooking from the library and it is the most comprehensive chinese cook book I have ever read and I certainly learnt a lot from it. I had never heard of 'velveting' chicken before I read his work, and I can vouch for how tender and soft it keeps the chicken.

11. Necessity unfortunately Pobble [​IMG] My daughter is a coeliac, and I appear to have passed on the gene, as I am completely wheat intolerant and GP said I had to follow the same diet. Do feel better for it though. But seduce away!

12. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Aaah, yes! I've never looked back from velveting chicken!

13. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Got another of Ching's books which is very good.
    As a sort of tip, the best Chinese cookery book I'ver got is Yan-Kit's Classic Chinese Cookbook, and if you like Sichuan flavours, I heartily recommend Fushcia Dunlop's Sichuan Cookery.

Recently bought:
    Nigel Slater's Tender Vol II. Yet to really look through it and cook anything from it.
    The Fifth Quarter - An Offal Cookbook - Anissa Helou. Lots of incredible stuff in there, again yet to use it though.
    Leon 2 - more of the same stuff from the Leon lot, very good, quick and easy fixes. Most of the themes are quite summery, so anticpate using it more and more in coming months.
    Raymond Blanc's Kitchen Secrets - Very good indeed, the man writes with warmth and enthusiasm. Cooked one dish so far, a mackerel dish with a shaved fennel salad and a soy sauce and lime glaze, which was stunning.
    Heston's Fantastical Feasts - Okay, there's virtually no chance of me cooking anything from it, but I loved the series and love his madcap genius so it makes fun reading. Will pass it on once devoured though.
    Snowflake and Shnapps - Jane Lawson - a very pretty book but the dishes seem needlessly complex and involve huge lists of ingredients, so have yet to cook any. Disappointed that none of the recipes have any history or explanation of provenance as well. I suspect this one will be passed on as well.

Just put an order in on Amazon Marketplace for second-hand copies of Leaves from the Walnut Tree from the eponymous restaurant in Abergavenny, widely accepted to be one of the best restaurants in the country in the eighties and nineties; also Fay Maschler's Eating In - one of my favourite food writers.

14. Ex-boyfriend was sous chef there Nick, around 1989/90. Franco had a huge temper, but did terrific food, shame it's gone downhill since he retired.

15. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter