1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New controlled assessments - barcode task in Python

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Computing101, Jul 10, 2015.

1. I'm one of the fustrated teachers who is expected to suddenly know how to programme when my background is ICT.

I've spent a fair few months learning python and have what I feel is a good understanding of it. I then tried the new controlled assessment tasks on interchange for the new Year 10s in September. The troubleshooting one started off easy and ended up a nightmare of loops. I then moved on to the barcode one which so far seems much simpler. I *think* I have a working solution which I obviously won't put on here as to break exam regulations but I wonder if someone can give me an INCORRECT GTIN to test my program with as every number seems to be a valid one (even when I calculate it manually). Granted...I may be doing something daft! They all seem to be a multiple of 10 when doing the validity checks.

2. larathegiraffe

larathegiraffe New commenter

It's always useful to check the Student Room regularly, identify the useful Yahoo groups and then use the forums in the dark web. You can express indignation, shock and outrage at answers to controlled assessment problems being openly available, as you check through their solutions to see where you went wrong ....

3. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

You "think" you have a working solution. Sorry mate, you really should not be doing this. Go back to your management and ask for proper training.

4. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

Forget the knowledge of python, unless you are very good at selecting GTIN there is something wrong with your arithmetic. There's no way you should get correct GTINs all the time. Don't forget, make sure you know what you have to do, use floor and ceil functions to round up and down, and check your bracket use!

5. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

Programming was always in the ICT National Curriculum; it's just that most schools didn't bother to do the whole thing in recent years. Check out the Developing ideas and making things happen section - there's stuff about creating, testing, and refining sequences of instructions (i.e. programming). My first ever lesson on teaching practice in 1997 was programming.

6. wot's a GTIN?

7. JaquesJaquesLiverot

I haven't seen the task, but it sounds like it might be something to do with check-digits. Have you tried an on-line calculator such as this one: www.gtin.info/check-digit-calculator?

8. gigaswitch1

gigaswitch1 Occasional commenter

I used this checker www.gs1.org/check-digit-calculator. I originally did the mobile phone task, task two and three are difficult, and wont be nice to teach. The check digit is the easiest to do, and probably the easiest to teach. Next years tasks are more complicated than this years, will take the kids a greater deal of time to complete. Don't forget that the programming part is approximately 30% of the overall mark, the paper work and testing make up a big part of the task.

9. colwynexile

Sorry shell, but the new 9-1 GCSEs are 80% theory and 20% coursework.

For those that haven't read the ocr tasks, a GTIN is a barcode and the first section talks initially about taking a 7 figure code and creating a check digit, and then moves on to validating an 8 figure code. Basic maths really.

10. gigaswitch1

gigaswitch1 Occasional commenter

Sorry colwynexile, let me clarify what I meant. The present tasks are heavily waited on the paperwork side. The programming element of the GTIN task is approximately 30% of the total amount for the CA, a average programs can get high marks with very good paperwork.

11. JaquesJaquesLiverot

The complexity of these tasks is a bit erratic. I thought that this year's arithmetic quiz tasks were much easier than the previous calculator/Hangman/recipe selection; doing all three parts of the quiz seemed to be slightly less work than just the recipe task.

That said, how difficult the task is does depend on which language you're using - the calculator or Hangman programs would have been much quicker to make in Visual Basic (or even HTML/CSS/JavaScript) than Python with tkinter, for example.

12. colwynexile

shellscript - you're right, the actual program does not count for as much marks as you'd think. That and the examiner wants to see HOW you got there, so instant answers aren't it either. Where ir is nice to know the right answer for a task, you really need to see how you got there to get the most marks. And yet you tell the kids this and...

13. sfadawson

sfadawson New commenter

14. sfadawson

sfadawson New commenter

Your first part will always create a correct check digit to make it a valid 8 digit GTIN code. I see it as 2 parts. Work out how to do that first and then with invalid 8 digit value without using your 7 digit calculator check its validity. Hope that makes sense.

How you getting on with tasks 2 and 3? My class all have task 1 done in many various ways but I am struggling to complete 2 and 3.

15. mibalmer

mibalmer New commenter

The tasks themselves aren't actually that tricky when you plan them out. I used Python with my groups, and it is pretty straightforward.
    Task 1 requires a little string manipulation and some rudimentary maths.
    Task 2 requires the ability to read and write from files
    Task 3 is like task 2, but with a bit of maths thrown in.
    Students that plan their work with effective flowcharts should be able to code this with a few hours research into Python methods online.