1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Computing Teacher problems

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by NewComputingGuy, Jan 23, 2020.

1. NewComputingGuy

NewComputingGuy New commenter

Hey all,

This is a rather unique situation

I passed my PGCE Primary last year and currently teach middle school (y4 to y8) Computer Science in an international school. I have no mentor, no head of department and I am pretty much left to my own devices. (Yes, this is not a good thing for a first year teacher, especially one not trained in that subject)

I'm sourcing a lot of my own material as there is not much material left from the teacher last year.

I use a lot of the Code.org curriculum, CS First curriculum and Google Applied digital skills curriculum and it seems like it works. I'm also using the NCCEs lesson resources as well which are a bit more teacher led (thank goodness).

The problem I find is that these are all video curriculum based. The kids watch the videos and complete the work that then auto assesses itself. My impact in the classroom is pretty minimal with this stuff.

I've only seen a short amount of ICT/CS teaching in my first week of my PGCE so I don't really know what good practice looks like. I don't feel very effective and I don't really know how to improve.

I feel like the kids are learning a little, but they could be learning so much more with a proper experienced teacher. This isn't really good for them...

How can I get better at my job?

TL DR I teach using video curriculum. Kids seem to like it, management don't care/don't know. Is this wrong?

2. NewComputingGuy

NewComputingGuy New commenter

As a quick aside I go through the lesson activities at home before hand so I know what they are doing and some solutions to potential problems if they arise in class.

But out of the 30 minutes time of them working, I only spend about 5 helping and the rest of the time they don't need help.

3. Penny10p

Penny10p Occasional commenter

As a new teacher in a similar situation several years ago, I found the Teach-ict website very useful. I still use it today. You have to pay for it but it has lots of resources. It has changed to a format which is more student centered but there is scope to pick and choose resources and make it more teacher led if you like.

4. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Occasional commenter

The OP clearly wants to improve and recognises the limitations of their current situation. In the short term, I'd be trying to link up with teachers in other schools, dressing it up any way you can to make it happen. Then there are plenty of videos to watch, and plenty of sites to buy into.

The above isn't ideal, far from it. The only real solution is to find a far more appropriate school and department, where they indicate at interview that they will support your development, and tell you exactly how they will do it. You clearly know what you need now, so best start applying.