1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New classroom for Year Three - what would be on your wishlist?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jenhet, Feb 24, 2011.

1. jenhet

jenhet New commenter

We are having new classrooms for our 2 Year Three forms in September and have been asked to say what we would like in them. I'd love to hear of any must-haves (layout or resources) that you can suggest.
    Many thanks in advance.

2. jenhet

jenhet New commenter

We are having new classrooms for our 2 Year Three forms in September and have been asked to say what we would like in them. I'd love to hear of any must-haves (layout or resources) that you can suggest.
    Many thanks in advance.

3. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Lots of maths and language puzzles, computers, computers, computers. Lucky you!!!

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

1 Enough space to have table & a carpet area plus lots of storage for resources, books etc!
    2 Door leading to an outside area for teaching or 'time-out!
    3 Smartboard, whiteboard & a flipchart-all useful for different purposes.
    4 Small personal whiteboards + enough pens to last all year.
    5 Sink for messy activities!
    That's not bad to be going on with.

5. Cushions/rug and a well-stocked book corner that children actually want to use.
    One of those horse-shoe shaped tables for the group I'm working with...
    C x

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Are you getting all new resources as well? Not just taking in all the old stuff? WOW!

A great reading corner and carpet area would be my absolute must haves.

Lots of open shelves with clear, lidded boxes for tidy, but easily accessible storage. Hate things in cupboards, but hate mess.

Nice brightly coloured chairs and tables, grey is NOT suitable for an inspiring classroom. And yes I agree, one of those horseshoe tables, ideally as an extra to the 30 normal places.

As much display board space as humanly possible.

A working smartboard.

7. akimbo

akimbo New commenter

With such a great opportunity try and visit some other schools (recently refurbished) and see what they have in place -it can be easy to try to improve on things that aren't great it is also scary about how bad some new builds are. Storage sounds boring but I went to a class that had a huge walk in cupboard which meant things could be stored away,rotated and keep the classroom fresh and lively all the time. If there's any way of having e.g. french windows onto an outside space it would be brilliant. Splendid books would be high on my list too!
    RM do a free ICT review of provision and can advise on all sorts of things you may never even have thought about - they have a centre you can visit -haven't been but they are coming to see me next week...
    Enjoy -I hope you and your children recieve great benefit from your new environment. Good luck.

8. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

A bank of at least 8 dedicated computers for YOUR CLASS ONLY.

Loads of puzzles and games to keep them busy. A proper, engaging reading area with beanbags and open shelves...

MAYBE, if room allows.... a role play area?
    A wet area for Art/DT activities (shiver, thank the Gods for jobshare...)...

Millions of pounds to spend on books!

Loads of Maths stuff, like Numicon and Cuisenaire, and dice and counters, which may not sound like much, but it all adds up.....

9. I've also always rather fancied one of those tray units that has a sort of kinderbox book storage set up on the top so that I could store exercise books in the top and resources like line guides, paper, place value mats etc. underneath..
    Oh, and the following would be nice too...
    Arrow cards (1 set per child, including 1000s)
    Digit cards (1 set of 0-9 per child)
    Those red-white mini bead strings (10 red, 10 white, 10 red etc.) - great for hands on adding 10s
    Tons of multilink
    At least 1 tray of plastic money - the maths co-ordinator at my last school bought Gratnell trays that came with as special divided insert and the money included, as well as a lid to stop it all falling out - brilliant for money lessons
    Class sets of 2-D and 3-D shapes
    A set of 6 Bee-Bots - 1 per table...
    (And... and... and...)
    You lucky thing!
    C x

10. Agree with lardylegs, except would say that you DEFINATELY need a role play area with loads of inspiring dressing up costumes to encourage talk which then excite the children to write.
    And an outdoor area leading off the classroom where you can do all the growing activities for Year 3, and wet activities.
    We are in the process of redesigning our Junior Workarea and are having an area for large construction/DT, role play and a bank of large children height sinks so that they can reach, and wash up without knocking into each other. ( The children come up to the Junior and suddenly lose all of the facilities to have the space to learn hands on.

11. jenhet

jenhet New commenter

Many thanks to all for these inspiring suggestions!

12. Display boards / smart boards etc... all at child hight!

No furniture at the very front of the classroom (so you can bounce around, dance and generally get dramatic when you're teaching without fear of knocking things off surfaces)

Nice wicker baskets for storage rather than plastic ones

Ahhhhh....You've got me mentally mapping out my dream room now :eek:)