1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New class with behaviour issues - Advice Please!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jak121, Mar 28, 2018.

1. jak121

jak121 New commenter

Hi all,

I am a NQT working in a large primary school. Until now, I have been working in a number of different classes on Mon Tues and Weds and have had my own class (y4) on Thurs and Fri.

I have now been asked to work the summer term 3 days in a week in y5. This class has a notoriousy bad reputation for behaviour and disruption. I am looking for advice on structure, behaviour strategies and and tips or trick that have worked for you or people you know in similar situations? I am up for the challenge but want to tackle it properly.

Many thanks in advance.

2. J.M.Powell

J.M.Powell New commenter

Set very clear boundaries and follow the behaviour policy to the letter for every incursion. Whatever you tolerate is where they'll draw the line, so be really firm from the start. Start out with strict routines for everything from lining up (register order) to leaving the room at break time (line or group at a time). Model expectations for partner work and enforce expectations.
    Praise right choices and encourage working as a team. Ensure lessons are challenging enough to keep pupils engaged, but make sure they have access to resources to enable them to be successful.
    Good luck!

Stiltskin likes this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Routines and rules for every single event that occurs and take time to talk through each and every one.
    Write them up (by hand) as you talk through them with the children and refer to them each time you do that activity.
    Heaps of time spent doing nothing but practising routines at the start will pay dividends later.
    Do not let anything go, but be reasonable. (Do you need silent lining up, or will almost silent be more sensible? Do they need to walk in silence and single file across a large playground to the hall for assembly, or could they run across and get into a sensible and single line on arrival at the outer door?)

Read "Everything changes when the adults change" by Paul Dix and take what you can from there. Some are whole school and you can't, but some you can. Things like being at the door and greeting each child by name (he does handshakes, but that's up to you) takes longer to get them in, but makes learning time more efficient. If your housepoint type thing isn't connected to a whole school system, then do what he suggests with the random nonsense.

Tell them how excited you are to be their actual real proper teacher for the three days a week. (Even if it is a complete lie and you are dreading it!)
    Be as firm and clear as you can be. Take absolutely no nonsense at all.
    Have rewards and so on, but don't rely on them to sort the behaviour, they won't.

They are probably desperate for firm boundaries and great teaching.
    Good luck...remember you get the joys of the lovely class you know to finish the week!

jak121 likes this.
  4. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

make sure you have both rewards and sanctions. Be consistent. Have a sense of humour. They may regard you as a sort of supply teacher as you have taught in lots of classes so set them straight. Make time to talk to lots of parents at the door as often as you can.
    Do remember that children to daft things sometimes, you don't need to go overboard every time a child does something silly. Talk with them, not at them. Make time for circle time. Remember to constantly tell them what you expect to see before they do it,establish some simple routines and stick to them.
    And when you have a bad session, don't say the whole class was bad. Take time to calm down then mentally list the ones who caused the problem, its usually about 4 with a few hangers on.
    Always remember in every class, there are lots of children who want to do the right thing and are totally frustrated by the naughty few. Don't blame them for the problem child. and also don't inflict the idiot on them all the time. Why should the well behaved girls get the class clown sat in their space all the time?

5. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

sorry, forgot. "noisy teachers have noisy classes"