1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New class in May, NQT not sure what do to in first lesson!?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by trinity0097, Apr 30, 2011.

1. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

Just teach them! They will learn your expectations through them experiencing it. I would eprhaps spend 5 min or so explainingthat you are their teacher for the rest of the term, and explaining any systems for rewards you are doing.

2. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

Start as you mean to go on. Jump straight in.

3. Hi Rachel
    Well done on the job.
    I have been in a similar situation a number of times. I have found that the best thing to do is to set out yur stall so to speak. This is the beginning of the relationship you have with them so you need to set boudaries and expectaitons. If you have made any changes to the class set up you will need to highlight these for the children so they are clear about where things are etc.
    Clearly at this time of year you need to get started on the curriculum as soon as possible but that will go much more smoothly if everyone knows the score.
    I have always found that being firm but fair is the way forward and never more so than in this kind of situation. You need to remember that the previous teacher was probably wonderful - the best teacher the children have ever had etc but don't let that phase you - who ever it was - she wasn't perfect and they probably complained about her while she was there and she is only elevated to saint hood since going on leave!
    My only other comment would be - it is your class now and you need to make decisions - the chn might well tell you how the previous teacher did things - you don't have to do the same unless it suits you. It is very tempting to go along with what happened before but you will feel more comfortable and more confident if you make changes.

Good luck - i'm sure you will do great.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I agree with Sulas, spend some time setting out your stall for sure. They need to get to know you and what you expect and you need to get to know them. Miss this vital part at your peril.

Tell the children that you might do some things differently to their previous teacher, but that hopefully some of those things will be better. Set out for them (use a ppt or notebook file) your non-negotiable rules. What do you absolutely demand from them, what will not ever tolerate. Be fairly serious and firm for this part. Then ask them if there are any other rules they think the class should have as an addition, given that they know each other more than you do. Add their suggestions to your list.

Then tell them your reward system in lots of detail. Hopefully by this point you will have already given out some rewards for good listening, putting their hand up to speak, etc, etc. Talk a bit about your consequences/sanctions, but maybe gloss over this a bit with "We don't really need to know this do we, because everyone is going to be lovely. I can just tell that already. Someone told me you are the nicest class in the school, so I can probably not worry too much about punishments." (This isn't true at all and after a honeymoon period you will possibly need to be a totally strict and serious teacher. This is normal and to be expected. Just keep on being consistent with sanctions and rewards and the phase will pass. But no need to let the children know that you know this.)

Having said all that I'd only spend about half an hour on this and then do a short maths lesson. Probably one with lots of practical and interactive activities, so you can get to know personalities a bit as you go.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!