1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

new class change over day

Discussion in 'Primary' started by dollymixtures, Jun 10, 2004.

1. At the end of the month ive been invited into my new school to meet my new yr 5 class for changover day (children meet their new teacher for an afternoon). Any ideas on what to do with them???!!!

2. At the end of the month ive been invited into my new school to meet my new yr 5 class for changover day (children meet their new teacher for an afternoon). Any ideas on what to do with them???!!!

3. Set out your expectations for good behaviour & hard work - it's an important year and all that. Explain that you will be firm but fair and if they 'play the game' of school well, you'll all get on fine. Ask them to tell you one interesting thing about themselves that you otherwise might not find out for ages and make sure you tell them one about you, too. If you're with them for a long time, this could be a written exercise.
    Have fun!

4. I apologise if this is a bit of a naff idea but I am KS1 based!!...
    How about doing some alliterative work with their names in a circle (Jumping jonathon, happy Hayley etc.) Challenging them to think of words that really do describe themselves. They could then make an acrostic poem of their names and decorate. Put these up as a display in September ("Meet Class 5" or "Year 5 allstars" type thing) so they've got something of their's up already and you've got 1 less display board to worry about for half a term :)
    Nice and simple with lots of speaking and listening so you can all get to know each other.

5. Make a "passport" ie name/age etc/hobbies/family members/i am best at/worst at etc and use them as a display for september. That way you get to know something about them as well as seeing what their lit ability is.
    Draw a portrait of themselves and write 5 words to describe themselves -again use for display purposes.
    As said before-lay down the law for them/speaking and listening activities to get to know them.

6. I also have used the passport idea and have included photos that have helped me to learn the c hildrens names and provided an instant display so the classroom walls arn't bare in September.

Other Ideas have used and found successful are planning an ideal classroom, agreeing class rules and setting appropriate standards of behaviour, circle time discussion and games and investigative maths.

I think its important that:- you get a feel of the class and their abilities and class feel comfortable with you as a teacher and don't spend the summer worrying

Hope you are getting paid for going in!!!!

7. Have done the passport thing too as summer 'homework'. Worked well, and it makes an easy display. Am doing the same as you and will be doing mind maps - probably teaching them it for thte first tme - about themselves.
    Parachute games is also good as a get to know you, class rules, what they want out of next year - what they expect from you and then you get your turn!! What you expect from them!

8. Some lovely ideas on here...but any chance of any for Year 1?

I am going into my new school (completd NQT year and changing school!) and have Year 1. I think our transition day lasts all day (!), and I'm told the teacher I'm taking over from is coming in with me as well - not sure if this is good or bad!

What can I do for a whole day? Seems a long time with 30 Y1s I don't know! ;)

9. If you have the class list beforehand (or if they can write nicely anyway...) you could make up coat peg/personal tray name cards for them to decorate so they are ready on their pegs/trays when they come back in September.

With my current reception children I used a digital camera to take pictures of them on their visit day and printed these off with name labels & stuck them up on the wall before the start of term - they loved it and it helped me & the TAs with name learning (if in doubt, check the wall!!!)

10. I use this one every year. In my school we use 5C, 6W to describe classes. The letter is the surname initial of the teacher. So I get two large pieces of card, one for 5 and one for C, and draw a giant 5 and a giant C. Then I mark these into jigsaw pieces, making sure there's enough for one per child and one for me. They each get their piece to write on or decorate or draw their own self portrait. Then they have to put the jigsaw back together. It makes the point about working together AND that each person has something to contribute to the class.
    Just one small hint, number the pieces in tiny writing on the back because the first year, it took us forever to get the jigsaw done. The more able kids will twig this and you can make the added point about not taking things at face value and exploring things fully before making your mind up!

11. Wow what amazing ideas, thanks everyone!

12. This is one I've found good for year six - ask them to write a letter to their future selves at this time next year. They should include who their friends are, what they hope to learn in year six, favourite subjects, their hopes and fears for the next year and any further information about what their lives are like. Tell them you'll keep the letter and give it back at the end of year six. The children really love looking at their letters the next year as they can see how they've changed and the progress they've made. You can make them private letters or just say that and have a peak anyway.

13. I posted the same for Year 2/3 but got no replies
    :eek:(

Anyone?!

14. Hi i did a worksheet in Year 3, where the chhildren had to write a few words/phrases and draw pictures. The worksheet included a section on their family; hobbies; Me; and their favourite things. The children seemed to enjoy compelting it and they shared their thoughts at the end of the lesson.

15. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

16. PE seemed to work for me last year (assuming they have their kits) you can use a setting to lay down some ground rules.

Another I like is taking a photograph of all the children individually - then cut in half - stick one half to a piece of paper and the children draw the other half of their face to match the photo. Worked really well!