1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New christmas ideas please.

Discussion in 'Music' started by Nojazz, Aug 5, 2011.

1. I was hoping you would all be able to share some ideas for christmas music for secondary school 3 part (SSA)/unison choir. It would be lovely in particular to pick up some of the more modern carols/songs.
    You get to that time in your career where you think you may have done all the 'standards' and I feel it would be nice to move 'outside the box'.
    My school is a comp (11-16).
    Just to start off I am looking at 'Because it's Christmas' -Barry Manilow and 'Jamaican Noel' -Kirby Shaw as some thoughts. Hope you are able to help.
    Thanks

2. I was hoping you would all be able to share some ideas for christmas music for secondary school 3 part (SSA)/unison choir. It would be lovely in particular to pick up some of the more modern carols/songs.
    You get to that time in your career where you think you may have done all the 'standards' and I feel it would be nice to move 'outside the box'.
    My school is a comp (11-16).
    Just to start off I am looking at 'Because it's Christmas' -Barry Manilow and 'Jamaican Noel' -Kirby Shaw as some thoughts. Hope you are able to help.
    Thanks

3. When you say 'standards' are you talking about traditional carols or secular songs e.g. Mary's Boy Child?

4. Both really, have 'done' the Rutters etc and the traditional carols was hoping for some of the more 'recent' compositions and secular songs. Maybe there are some Chilcotts that someone could recommend.
    Thanks for the reply.

5. Hi Nojazz,
    How about some of the Novello Choral Pops? There are several more modern Christmassy songs available for SSA arrangement including:
    Paul McCartney - Wonderful Christmastime
    Eartha Kitt - Santa Baby
    Bobby Helms - Jingle Bell Rock
    The Pogues/Kirsty MacColl - Fairytale of New York
    The Beach Boys - Little Saint Nick
    http://www.musicroom.com/Search/Find.aspx?searchtext=novello+choral+pops+christmas
    Hope this helps,
    Laura :)

6. Thanks so much for this, I think I will get Fairytale of New York - may have to adjust the words a bit!

7. I believe in father Christmas?
    Do they know it's Christmas?
    Saviours Day (C. Richard)