1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New children starting in our class.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rach_myname, May 10, 2012.

1. We have three new children starting in our class on Monday and I'd like to do some activities to make them feel welcome. Does anyone have any ideas about what I could do?
    Thanks.

2. We have three new children starting in our class on Monday and I'd like to do some activities to make them feel welcome. Does anyone have any ideas about what I could do?
    Thanks.

3. Which year group are you in?
    What i wouldn't do is make them stand at the front of the class and tell everyone who they are and where they came from!
    Watched a teacher do this once ( when I was on placement) and the poor child was almost crippled with terror. Poor kid spent the next few mornings crying and begging her mum to take her home. [​IMG]

I just had a new starter and gave him a 'buddy' to show him where everything was and to guide him in daily routines.

4. Simple things - make sure they have a coat peg, tray, their books are labelled, nominate a buddy for them. Play some circle time games to introduce the class and so they can talk about themselves if they want to. At least you have had notice they are coming, I usually find out when they appear in the line on the playground!

5. Thank you both! Can you think of any particular circle games? I'm in reception and year 1.

6. Waterfin

Waterfin New commenter

Something from forest schools...
    Each child introduce themselves with their name and an animal that starts with the same letter of their name. They then make the sound of the animal and do a matching action. All the other children in the group either say "Hello, Tammy the tiger" and copy the sound and action, or just join in the sound and action.