1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New child starting tomorrow.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by milliebear1, Feb 26, 2012.

1. I have a new child starting with me. First time I've ever had a mid-year starter.
    I have a table ready for her, with three other girls who are 'nice' and will look after her a bit (they are delighted and very excited!). Her books are ready etc.
    I haven't met her or her family yet. They are coming in at 8.45 tomorrow for the first time.
    Is there anything else I need to be thinking about/doing to ease her and her parents' settling in period!?

2. jwraft

jwraft New commenter

Pick one of the girls to be her 'guide' for the day. Making sure she knows where the toilets are, what to do at lunchtime, where to put her coat/pe kit. Don't assign all three girls this job because as nice as they might be it can be quite daunting for her or the three girls could end up squabbling. Also make sure you get all your app and things sorted for her, this is something I always forget. Make her aware of the school behaviour policy and don't be afraid to use it with her, I'm sure behaviour will be fine, but if not you need to start as you go on like you would with the whole class in September. Make sure you listen to her read too, I always get a lot from listening to a new child read on their first day. Good luck!

3. Fab - thanks!

4. In my school, mid year starters are very common. This year (so far) I have had 3 start after September. One started in October, one in mid January and one just before half term. I have lost 2 children to other schools and maybe losing two more by Easter. It is just as it is in our school.
    For us we just do the following by the end of the first week.
    1). Find out where they are with reading levels.
    2). Get a piece of writing out them.
    3) Establish maths ability.
    4) Set targets with them.
    5) Write IEP's (often we have children who need one, never get a MAT child)
    By the end of the first week, it is like they have always been in the school.
    May sound harsh but we are used to children starting and finishing mid year.

5. Ask your office staff to chase up assessments from previous school is also important.
    Agree with the previous poster that by the end of the week, it feels so normal!

6. Forgot that one. This is vital. One child I had already been a pupil in 5 different schools by the time he was in Year 6. This was a problem family and there were reasons for the constant moving about. Sad case and was one in which we had to involve the Services.

7. I have had many new students this year, what I have found is that parents always have all these additional questions about the curriculum, when you have p.e, what time is lunch etc etc. I always find that if I take a few minutes to answer the parents are happy and it makes everything go a lot smoother in that first week!

8. My school has a lot of travellers so every couple of weeks there is a new child/family arriving and leaving...literally!
    If they've been to school before get assessment data...and make sure they know what to do at lunchtime! Children always seem to be relieved when they know where/when they will be fed!!
    Hope it goes well

9. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Get exercise books ready for her and names written on.
    I just get stuck in, give the child a nice buddy for a couple of days and do some unobtrusive assessment of ability. Not particularly bothered about previous assessments, I make my own mind up. It's different though if there are special needs or outside agencies involved where all information we can get is useful.
    This happens loads, I have also had 3 start this year and expect another next week. Year 6! They're moving from another local school. Why couldn't they have seen the year out?

10. Sort of on the same topic.... We, like many primary schools, are focusing on "closing the gap" as a major part of our SIP. We find increasingly that "the gap" occurs with new starters from Year 1 - 6 who come with insufficient data and are often quite behind. As you rightly say, The older they are the worse it is!
    I am looking for some initial assessmet ideas for our new, mid term starters for reading, writing and maths. Ideally, stuff that won't be too labour or time intensive on their first day or two but will give us a good idea of major gaps in learning and enable us to get them onto the appropriate intervention ASAP!! Our aim is to have a set of age relevant assessment tools and tasks and our policy will be to "screen" every new pupil (not Reception) in their first few weeks at school.
    We have the reading benchmarking kit, phonics screening for reading and spelling, AfW statements and levels for a written piece and verbal and non verbal reasoning. But!!! this all seems rather a lot. I want to find something simpler which works!!
    I am interesting in reading any experiences you might have on this issue: what you do, what works, what doesn't, if you have a whole school policy on new pupil screening, does any one know of any published resources specifically for this purpose? etc. etc. We are happy to share any final conclusions and resources!!