1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Child Starting (from a Steiner school)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by christomkins, Mar 29, 2012.

1. christomkins

christomkins New commenter

Hi,

I've got a new child starting in my class after Easter and this is a first for me! (I have only been teaching for 1.5yrs!) Can anyone give me any advice about the best ways of introducing him to the class (yr4). I have already asked one child to be his "buddy" for the first few days and have prepared his draws and books, but that is it.

The child that is coming has come from a Steiner a school and that is all I know about him! - I have done some research on Steiner schools and not sure what to expect really.

Any advice would be greatly welcomed!

Thanks,

Chris

2. Steiner schools are a very holistic way of teaching. Children do not start formal lessons until the age of 7, (reading, writing etc). Outdoor provision is high on their agenda.
    Children usually stay with the same teacher all the way through their primary phase of school. They are not so bound by levels and expected achievments etc. More focus is on the individual and extra-curricular studies.
    Do you know the reasons he is no longer going to the Steiner school?
    It may be that the environment wasn't right for him and his parents feel he will thrive better in main stream education. Parents of children from Steiner schools are generally more involved and interested in their children's education. It is a seriously thought through process and not a cheap education option. They should be supportive of you helping him to do well and open to suggestion.
    Or it may be they are moving area and Steiner is not an option where they are moving too. If this is the case they are likely to have chosen a school they feel best for their son. They will have done their research.
    All parents I have met who have sent their children to Steiner schools have been very liberal people who don't beleive in pushing children too hard too soon.
    I am sure that as long as this child makes some friends he will be fine. You say that you have chosen someone to be a 'buddy' to him, and sorted out all his equipment. I don't really see what else you can do.
    I would recommend talking to his parents as soon as you can though. Find out what he is used to and what you, as his new teacher, have to offer.
    Good luck. I am sure you will be fine.

3. greta444

greta444 New commenter

My advice would be to treat him exactly the same as the other children in your class. The parents have chosen your school for their son, they have to accept how things work in your classroom. In year 4, I've found it usually takes about a day to settle in. No faffing!

4. His parents have probably either run out of money, or realised that they they have spent £££ over the past few years and the little cherub STILL can't read, write or count, although he can throw a mean pot and is a master of interpretive dance. Sorry, i am really not a fan of the Steiner system. I think it works beautifully for the children of wealthy people with their own businesses, who can guarantee said child a job for life once he leaves school, no matter what their eccentricities or short-comings.
    I'm sure your new child will settle in quite easily, allowing for all the usual problems around starting a new school towards the end of the year not to mention an entirely new school system. Be prepared for his academic work to be at a lower level than you might expect - although you may well get a pleasant surprise and find that he is well up to standard or even above it (that might in fact be one of the reasons the parents have put him back into the state system).
    I think you have done the best things already, really. Having a nice 'buddy' for him is great. He'll find it all quite strange I imagine, as a normal school is so unlike the Steiner experience, so be prepared for him to be a bit bewildered at first. I hope he settles down quickly and enjoys himself in your class.

5. christomkins

Thank you.

6. christomkins

Thanks a lot.

Your advice is great!

The child has been attending a Steiner in the local area so I think it's more of an attempt to "test the mainstream system".

The only things I do know, is that he is unaware of what the Olympics are or football; two of my topics for the summer term!

7. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Ha! Why am I not surprised? Good luck with that. :)