1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Challenging class

Discussion in 'Primary' started by education100, Jul 7, 2011.

1. I am a NQT, and will be meeting my new class in two weeks time. They are a Year 6 class, with challenging behaviour. Rude outbursts at each other and adults. The main problem stems from the fact that some of them dont like each other! What strategies can be used to help them work together and for them to be settled and focused in lessons? I am shaking in my boots please help.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Be very firm and very clear that you will not tolerate any such thing. Go absolutely OTT the very first time it happens and rant and rave a bit. Then speak really positively to the rest of the class about how you want this class to be the very best in the school and a lovely place to be. Say that kindness to others is an essential requirement of being in your class and that if they don't want to be a good and decent person then they best get on quickly with finding themselves a new school. Offer to make a list of names to take to the HT to ask for his/her help in finding a new school. You need to be really serious and firm about this. But praise over and over any one who is kind at any time. Really OTT praise and reward for kindness and OTT stern disapproval for the rudeness.
    No it doesn't. The main problem stems from the fact they are clearly allowed to behave that way. Plenty of classes contain children who do not like each other, but they do not behave badly or rudely to one another and certainly not to adults.

Forget 'helping them to get on'. They do not need to be friends, just need to be polite and behave properly. Very clear and utterly firm boundaries and consequences will soon put a stop to it. Especially if coupled with praise and reward and self esteem building for doing the right thing.

3. All the advice given will be taken on board.
    What do you recommend? I am aware there breaktimes and lunchtimes have been taken away throughout this year, with no effect so don't want to go down the same road.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I would send them to sit by themselves in the classroom. They can sit on the floor by my desk, the reading corner, the carpet area, anywhere everyone else isn't. 5-10 mins sitting by themselves facing a wall and thinking about my total disapproval is generally enough.

If that hasn't worked then send them out. Enlist the support of other staff to take them in their class..

Do this immediately for rude outbursts to each other or staff, no second chances at all.

But do also build good relationships with them. They are just children and are still learning about how to behave and react. Lots of praise and rewards from someone who likes them and wants to enjoy their company will be essential in changing their behaviour.

Don't worry too much about the fact they have been awful this year. If this year's teacher allowed such behaviour then that is their choice. You can make a difference, but do it from the very first day in September.

5. Try involving parents. Sometimes they can be useful partners in guiding behaviour. Stress the need for partnership and teamwork with them.