1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New challenge

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by GaryRobbo, Jul 31, 2011.

1. I need a new challenge I think - i've become bored, been at my current school for 5 years, it will be 6 in September.

Being
    made recently single has also got me thinking about teaching abroad.
    Has anyone done it? Any advice? I don't know anyone who has ever done
    it!
    Is it a good idea? I need advice! Would it be a good career move, how would it look on my C.V.? At the moment I am assistant director of learning: business and ICT.
    Should I be looking to continue with these subjects? I have a PGCE in ICT and Maths (although I teach KS3 Maths).
    As you can see I really don't have a clue! I was just hoping someone could give me a bit of direction.

2. I need a new challenge I think - i've become bored, been at my current school for 5 years, it will be 6 in September.

Being
    made recently single has also got me thinking about teaching abroad.
    Has anyone done it? Any advice? I don't know anyone who has ever done
    it!
    Is it a good idea? I need advice! Would it be a good career move, how would it look on my C.V.? At the moment I am assistant director of learning: business and ICT.
    Should I be looking to continue with these subjects? I have a PGCE in ICT and Maths (although I teach KS3 Maths).
    As you can see I really don't have a clue! I was just hoping someone could give me a bit of direction.

3. Sign up with Search Associates. Go to one of their job fairs early in 2012. Get a job. Don't look back. You never need to return to the UK.

Things you can do to help yourself: sign up for a few online IB workshops (go to their website to find them). This will help you not have to teach at a British international school.

Good luck.

4. Some other things you could do are:

Put together a portfolio of student work. This could be a simple website with screenshots of their work, along with a brief description of what the students did. When the viewer clicks on the screenshot they are taken to the full example. Make your screenshots eye catching. Every project that you do with students between now and you getting a job should be designed to impress prospective employers. Attach the page of screenshots as an extra page at the end of your CV and also include a link. Ignore people who say your application package (CV, cover letter etc.) should only be 2 - 3 pages maximum. A portfolio can only help your chances (as long as your portfolio looks impressive.

If you have created any publications (school pamphlets, brochures, yearbooks etc.) include screenshots of these on an extra page in your CV.

As a maths teacher, in my recent job hunt I was able to include links to interactive spreadsheets, animations, 3D models, and computer games all created by my students.