1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

New Cat News ... not so good

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ResourceFinder, Jul 8, 2011.

1. So ... I took him back to the vet this evening

He had a bandage on infected paw to be removed

The infection seems to have reduced

BUT

There is a swelling that she had thought was related to the infection ... it has not gone down and now the infection has gone (or is going) the vet thinks it might be something else

We have some anti inflammatory to give him and an appointment for Wednesday ... if it has not gone they will x-ray

The suggestion is a tumour
    trying to hold it together for the kids but ...

2. Oh no. That's awful. I don't know what to say about this latest news,RF, coming so soon after the good news yesterday. Stay strong and see what Wednesday brings. The swelling may have gone by then - and they can't tell it's a tumour until they investigate. He's been eating and so on, hasn't he, and not losing weight so it may not be a tumour, at all.
    Thinking of you. xx

3. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Awww poor puss
    At least you know you are giving him the best attention - hope it's something that gets sorted out.

4. He has been eating so that is a good sign

Thanks

5. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

I have 2 cats who, although a pain sometimes (bringing in mice etc) are gorgeous and lovely. My boy cat has a condition which might mean we'll have to take the difficult decision to put him to sleep if it doesn't improve. These things are always hard to deal with and especially if you have children who are very attached to them- hope it works out, poor puss x

6. I'm sorry, Resource.
    Its been an up and down time .....
    Hope it turns out well. They can do such a lot these days.

7. I know, hope lives [​IMG]

8. I hope it's not a tumour or, if it is a tumour, that it's treatable. Medicine can do wonderful things.

9. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

Where is the swelling, RF?

10. hazeymazey

hazeymazey New commenter

so sorry to hear this rf. Hopefully its all sortable. They are such a part of our lives aren't they? We lost one of our beloved pusscats to cancer in January and I still look for her now - or suddenly think her sister is her. Glad paw is better and that puss is eating.

11. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Sorry to hear about this RF but as others have said they can't be sure what the lump is until it's been investigated properly . . . . . it might turn out be a cyst or abcess caused by the infection . . . . .its not always easy to examine a squirming cat, even for vets who are experts . . . . . . . I really hope things work out x

12. the lump is on the leg joint

we thought it might be arthritis as he is nearly 12 but she expected it to have reduced ... with any luck it is just that and the anti-infammatory stuff will work
    apart from anything else I am not keen on him having to have a general in order for them to do the x rays even just to find out

13. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I understand the concern about generals, but did he not get one when he was neutered? And he was fine afterwards? If the swelling does not disappear with the current treatments would your desire to know what was wrong not over ride your misgivings about a general?

14. Yes

He is going this morning for blood tests

Then an appointment on Wednesday morning to get the blood test results and look at the swelling again ... it there is no change they are going to keep him on Wednesday, do the x-rays and then we should know everything

15. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

With all these upsetting journeys to the vets and back it might be an idea to get some Rescue Remedy for cats . . . . . . apparently you put a few drops in the frilly bit of their ear. I've never used it, though my mum bought us a bottle. I only found out recently that you do not put the drops in their water.
    Hope it doesn't come to that.
    Good luck with it all. Poor wee mite x

16. Even if it is the worst scenario and it is a tumor, It is not in a difficult place to operate like any really essential organs - it may well not even be malignant and if it is, it could very well have been caught early enough to sort out. Animals do adapt brilliantly if they do lose a limb (I know it is so difficult to see them like this but they are less bothered when it heals). He is secure and being loved and very well cared for so your wee moggy has a lot on his side.

17. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

It still may be related to the infection - maybe an infection in the bone causing an abscess to form.
    I know it is very hard not to worry, and I suspect you just want to know now what it is.
    Hopefully it is nothing that can't be sorted.

18. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

One of our cats does okay on three legs.
    I admit it isn't ideal.

19. Laughing through my tears, Lurk! RF, it still could be nothing very much and I do hope so. I bet I am not the only one who is tearful reading this. Everything crossed, though.
    XX